Chapter 7 ~ Ocean

"Umm, don't you think we have enough signs?" I asked Kou as she was surrounded by calligraphy signs counting down the days to our first prefectural tournament.

"Pressure pushes people to the next level." She replied.

"We'll, uh, just go practice." Nagisa said and the others walked out. The wind blew in and scattered all the signs around the locker room.

"Oh no!" Kou freaked out

"Hey, it's fine." I bent down to collect the papers and start putting them in order. ...What? A different colored paper was underneath them all. "Uh, Kou, I think you should see this..."

                                    ~~~~~

"You guys, check this out!" Kou and I ran out of the locker room to meet the team.

"Summer training camp on a deserted island?" Makoto read out-loud.

"It's from super long ago. I think we should try it." I said.

"Swimming between three islands? Doesn't that seem like a little much?" Rei asked.

"Team captain, what do you think?" Kou asked Makoto.

"Um, well, if it helps us get ready for the tournament, let's try it." He smiled. That's a fake smile... I've always been able to tell with him.

                                    ~~~~~

"Fine." Coach Sasabe sighed. "I can't stay, but I can take you there."

"For real?!" Nagisa cheered.

"Is no one concerned about how a squid boat smells?" Rei asked.

"Well would you like to swim there?" I offered.

"Not really." He shook his head.

"Well I hate to kick you kids out, but I got a busy day tomorrow." Coach said.

"Aww, okay." Nagisa frowned.

We said our goodbyes and walked to the train station. Haru went back to the school to get some more training in. That left just me and Makoto to walk home together since our houses aren't far apart.

"Well it looks like this is all working out. I think this'll be a great opportunity for us to bond as a team." Makoto said as we walked along the boardwalk next to the beach. "We'll have to keep an eye on Rei, though. I don't think he knows what he's in for-"

"Makoto." I stopped in my tracks and looked out to the ocean.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asked me. Vivid memories flashed through my head from years ago.

"Are you okay? Have you really thought all this through?" I asked. He looked at me a bit surprised, but there's no way he's forgotten. "The ocean." He seemed to be having flashbacks, too. I mean, how could he not?

"I... I'll be fine." He offered a small smile. "That was forever ago."

"Makoto, I'm serious." I looked at him. "That was traumatic for all of us. I don't want you, especially, to relive that."

"I'll be okay, I promise." He put his hands on my shoulders.

I looked in his eyes for reassurance, but couldn't find a lot. Nevertheless, I wanted to trust him. He stared back into my eyes as the ocean waves continued to crash behind us. After all these years, I forgot how beautiful his eyes were. We stayed like that for what felt like forever, but it still wasn't enough. Makoto was the first one to snap out of it. "W-We should probably get going home... We still have school tomorrow." He blushed.

"R-Right." I said, a little disheartened. The rest of the walk home was silent and a little awkward. What was that?! I asked myself as my heart continued to pound in my chest. Do I... Do I still have feeling for Makoto? And... does he have feelings for me?

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow." Makoto snapped me out of my thoughts once again. We had already made it to his house.

"Right, have a good night." I smiled and started climbing the stairs up to my house. I waited until I heard his door shut before turning around and running all the way back to the school.

I panted heavily as I made it to the school's pool. Perfect! Haru was still in the water. "Sakura? Why aren't you home?" He asked, obviously confused.

"Teach me to swim!" I said. He looked at me in shock. "I've kept my swimsuit in the locker room just in case. Please!" I begged. He looked at me for a few more seconds before shrugging.

"Okay, go get changed." He said in his normal monotone voice.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed and ran into the locker room. If something happens to Makoto next week... I want to be able to help him. I have to.