P A N I C K E D

"Can you believe this?" Sarah's grandmother Maria threw a week-old newspaper in front of her breakfast plate

"Can you believe this?" Sarah's grandmother Maria threw a week-old newspaper in front of her breakfast plate. "I didn't know Thing 2 had it in her."

"Abuela, please stay off the blogs." Sarah rolled her eyes.

"Don't be hating, Thing 1." grandma said with much sass.

"Oh, God," she mumbled before flipping through People Magazine to see China and Cameron on every page. It'd been a while and they were still the talk of the town. "She never even told me she was going with him. I'm so mad at her."

"That's because you're such a Debbie Downer. You would have talked her out of it." her grandma poured herself a cup of coffee before sitting next to Sarah at the island. "Poor little girl already lives with a stick up her butt."

"That's not me being a Debbie Downer. That's called being a good friend. Right, mom?" Sarah asked.

"Sure, baby." her mother, Alana, didn't appear to be paying attention to anything but her laptop.

"See." Sarah nodded.

"You are a little hard on her, I must admit." her father Joey interjected, as he was reading through a more updated newspaper.

"Am I, really? I'm just trying to keep her from making dumb avoidable mistakes. I want to protect her. Would you guys let me run around with boys and talk to you all disrespectful?"

"That's what teenagers do, honey." her grandmother laughed. "As long as you do stupid things safely, it's honestly a right of passage."

"Well, fine. I have a boy that I like," she said matter-of-factly, crossing her arms.

"Who?" her father slammed his paper down and took his glasses off. "Is he from church?"

"See!" she pointed to her father accusingly. "You guys act like you're cool when really you're just as bad as China's parents sometimes."

"Ugh," Joey sighed. "I'm sorry. No, really. Who?"

"His name is Jordan. He's really nice. She's so sweet and thoughtful. Really smart. It's just that he's Muslim." she said picking at her toast.

"That's all?" her father shrugged. "Is that a deal-breaker for you? We didn't migrate from Colombia and build a billion-dollar empire only to raise you to be prejudice."

"No! It's not like that. It's just that I'm a Christian. I can't pretend like that isn't a huge deal. It ultimately means we have two completely different sets of beliefs. We were raised differently. I guess I just don't know how that would work if we got super serious and started thinking about marriage and kids down the road."

"Didn't he come to church a few weeks ago?" her mother asked, showing that she was indeed paying attention.

"Yeah, so?"