TWO

Time had fast passed by. Sisi’s busy routine hardly gave her time for herself. She was either doing laundry, cleaning rooms, helping in the kitchen, and replenishing linens. None of the maids ever had free time but today was her lucky day.

Mama, the head maid in princess Adetola’s quarters had thought it wise to allow her to take a break. She said she saw how hard-working she had been so she decided to give her the day off.

Memunah, her collegue in Princess Adetola quarters was not happy to know Sisi was given a break. She kept on mumbling insults to anyone who cared to listen.

Sisi on the other hand, did not understand why Memunah was always irritated every time she walked into the building or when her name was mentioned but as always, she made it her mission to mind her own business.

Birds were chirping as they flew from tree to tree. Sisi sat at one corner of the big palace’s garden that is hidden to the activities of the palace in order to enjoy her free day. 

She was completely lost in the book she was reading.

The sudden rustling of the bush and heavy footsteps switched Sisi’s attention. Startled, she stood and watched where the movement was coming from.

Hiding behind the hedge, Sisi’s noticed a male figure coming out to the garden path.

In silence, Sisi glared at the figure before her eyes. The man emanated beauty that Sisi had never had the privilege to see before. Yes, she had seen men before, but the one before her was different.

Not only was he tall, but he also had beautiful greenish- brown eyes and his masculine body was hard to ignore. His hair was black and his skin was rich tanned due to sunlight exposure and his clothes were exquisite.

For a minute, Sisi was completely dumb founded. There was something churning inside of her, something she had never felt in the presence of a man.

At a blink of an eye, the man had disappeared. Sisi was temporarily baffled. She couldn’t tell whether it was because there was a strange man on the palace ground or because of the charm he beheld.

She was definitely not in the right state of mind, so she grabbed her book and walked back to the palace and to the maids’ quarters.

While laying on her bed, Sisi’s mind wandered to the strange man she had seen earlier. The thought of him made her heart palpitate faster than usual.

The thought of his rare but beautiful hazel eyes drew her to an unfamiliar place, a place she wouldn’t mind spending an eternity.

‘’What is wrong with you Sisi, why are you behaving like this?” She audibly questioned herself.

Suddenly, the door of her room flew open with a bang, causing Sisi to jump out of the bed.

A petite dark skinned girl stood at the door, staring at Sisi. Her lips slightly trembling as tears slowly gathered in her eyes and before Sisi could utter a word, the girl burst out with laughter as she held on tightly to her stomach.

With uttermost disbelief, Sisi watched as Tomilola ‘publicly’ broke her bones.

“I do not find an ounce of humour in your unlady like behavior.” Sisi stated.

“How I…I… wish you… you would have seen the look on your face.” Tomi managed to say in between laughs.

“If you don’t mind, I would like to go back and rest. I have a busy day tomorrow.” Sisi said as she went back to bed.

“Come on nah.  I didn’t mean to scare you. As a matter of fact, there is something I want to tell you.” Tomi said as she sat beside Sisi.

“Why am I not surprised?” Sisi teased Tomi.