FIVE

Dedicated to Hassina_G

On the day of the feast, the whole palace  was agog with preparation.

“Tomi! Hurry up. We’re going to be late. Heaven knows I can’t stand the attitude of the other maids if we show up late.” Sisi said waiting for Tomi at the entrance of her room.

Tomi rushed out while trying to adjust the zipper of her unform.

“Calm down, we are not even late yet. Let’s go. We all know our duties, so what’s the haste all about. Get to the kitchen, do your part and move to the ballroom to do the rest.” Tomi said as she quickly turned her back to Sisi to help her zip up. They proceeded to the King’s quarters kitchen.

Maids were seen going to and fro the kitchen to the ballroom which are adjacent to each other. Some are completing the decoration, some are setting tables with cutleries, and some arranging chairs.

The strong scents of assorted meals filled the big kitchen that could fit twenty maids at a time and still have enough space for movement.

Sisi and Tomi quickly proceeded to check the ballroom out before returning for their duty in the kitchen.

The ballroom can comfortably accommodate up to 500 guests for a sit-down meal with ample room for a dance floor and staging for a band.

The Lagos State Arts and Culture troupe are seen arranging their instruments for a performing art. The Eyo troupe popularly known as the Adamu Orisha play are seen at one corner of the stage too in their ceremonial flowing white apparel and big hats and sticks with their faces covered.

Top dignitaries have started trooping in dressed in exotic attires and ensembles of garments. Obas (Kings) of other neighboring towns were seen with their ceremonial Agbada with their traditional caps and their necks and wrists were adorned with beads and horse-tails (Irukere) on their hands.

Their entourages comprising their queens dressed in iro and buba with gele and their princes and princesses all dressed traditionally and servants accompanied them with big umbrellas to shade them from the scorching sun and servants were seen holding the staffs of authority.

They all entered the ballroom and settled down at their respective seats. The band were already performing musical duties to entertain guest already on seats and to liven up the mood.

Sisi was shuttling  the kitchen and the ball room to check what is needed before the feast start in full force.

“Hey! Sisi or whatever your name is” an annoying feminine voice interrupted her silent musing of the ball room.

“Memunah” Sisi called her with an edge to her tone. “Good morning.” She said politely.

“Princess Adetola wants you to remain in the kitchen and not serve in the ballroom.” She said ignoring her greeting.

“But… my duty was to serve the king’s table. Madam Kofo told me specifically.” Sisi replied lethargically.

“I have delivered the orders. You better do well to obey.” Memunah said as she walked away.

Sisi realized she was in a tight spot and Tomi  was nowhere in sight to run to and asked for advice. But what she wanted to do was serve the King’s table and she followed her instinct. Besides, she needed to see how feasts are celebrated since it’s her first in the palace.

I will cross the bridge when I come to it. Princess Adetola can’t spoil my show today.
Sisi admitted out loud.