Chapter Three

Chapter 3

Daryl followed Brielle through the yard to the house. She unlocked the chain she had on the door and opened it for him. He was left speechless after she told him she was going to Minnesota. There was no way he’d be able to help her get to Minnesota. If he found his group, he was sure they wouldn't want to travel that far.

Daryl walked in the house and heard a low growl. He stopped and raised his crossbow.

“Relax. It’s just Sam,” Brielle said lighting a lantern.

Daryl kept his crossbow raised until his eyes adjusted. She had blacked out all the windows and had chains on the doors and windows. His eyes then landed on the brown and white dog in front of him.

“You got a dog?” he asked lowering his crossbow.

“Yes, this is my dog, Sam. He’s the best watchdog anyone could ask for,” she said petting his head and walking more into the house. Daryl was skeptical.

“What’s with his eyes,” Daryl asked following Brielle. Daryl was talking about Sam’s light eyes. They were almost mesmerizing at times.

“He’s an Australian Shepherd. He was born that way,” Brielle said sitting down on the couch that had a sleeping bag on it. She was exhausted.

“There’s a bedroom around the corner if you want to sleep. I have an extra sleeping bag right here,” she said handing it to Daryl.

“I’ll stay in here,” Daryl said laying the sleeping bag out.

“We should probably lay low for a day or two. I feel like your buddies will be looking for us,” she said yawning.

“They ain't my buddies,” Daryl said looking up at Brielle as he smoothed out the sleeping bag.

She noticed he had a scowl across his face pretty much all the time. She found herself wondering if he had that before all this happened or if it was just a result of the end of the world.

Brielle just shrugged him off. She didn't take offense to his moodiness.

“Sam, guard,” she said and Sam positioned himself between Brielle and the door.

“Doesn't he bark?” Daryl asked still concerned about having a dog around.

“Nope. He just growls when he sees those things,” she said laying back on the couch.

“The walkers?” Daryl asked.

“Is that what you call them? I haven’t thought of a name for them, well except monsters,” she said.

“My group called them walkers,” Daryl said more quietly.

Brielle nodded, but didn't say anything.

“Should I get the light?” Daryl asked, but he didn't get a response in return. He noticed that Brielle had fallen asleep.

He looked around his surroundings and found the girl he was now traveling with to be quite peculiar. She had a story. Hell, everyone who made it this far had a story.

He looked over at Sam who was staring at him. He didn't move; he just sat staring. Every once in a while his ears would move, but he sat still.

Daryl felt safe enough, so he bunched up his bag and used it as a pillow. He was exhausted too.

“Stu, what should I do?” Brielle asked panicked. The outbreak had been on the National News. An evacuation was announced and people were starting to panic.