Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12

Daryl could feel a searing pain in his side as he started to gain consciousness. He attempted to move his arms, but noticed quickly that he could barely move at all. He moved his head to the side and willed his eyes to open. They felt heavy and his mind felt groggy as though he was hung over.

“Daryl,” he heard a female whisper his name. He planted a small smile on his face.

“Brielle,” he whispered back.

He worked on opening his eyes and did not recognize his surroundings. He suddenly became panicked and tried to sit up. He finally realized why he could move his arms as they were restrained to a bed.

“Brielle?” he questioned a little more loudly.

“Shhh, Daryl, calm down,” he heard the voice again and noticed this time that it wasn't Brielle. He looked over towards where they voice came from and felt his heart drop down into his stomach. There stood Beth. She had a deep cut across her cheek and she looked as though she had matured years since the last time he saw her. She was dressed in light blue scrubs and gently touching his shoulder to get him to stay calm.

“Beth?” he questioned not trusting his brain or eyes in the current state he was in.

She gave him a small smile and placed her hand on his forehead.

“Where am I? Where’s Brielle?” he asked still not believing that Beth was sitting next to him.

“You’re in Atlanta. You’re safe for the time being, but Daryl, you have to listen to me,” she said pausing and hoping he was paying attention.

Daryl’s eyes looked up into Beth’s with concern and slight fear. He felt vulnerable being strapped to a hospital bed and he wasn't entirely sure he wasn't hallucinating that Beth was actually talking to him.

“The people in charge here, or rather the woman in charge here, is not a good person. We need to get out of here as soon as you are able to do so,” Beth said quietly. She knew her time was limited with Daryl before the doctor made his rounds.

Daryl was breathing heavily and trying to hold back tears. He nodded at Beth and stayed quiet.

“I’ll be back when I can to check up on you,” Beth said looking back behind her. Daryl wondered what she was looking for.

“Beth, wait,” he said before she left his room.

She stopped and looked at him.

“Brielle? Is she here?” he asked again.

He noticed her eyes showed sadness or maybe disappointment, he wasn't sure what he was seeing.

“You came here alone, Daryl,” she said quietly and left the room quickly.

Daryl looked up at the ceiling not sure what was real and what wasn't real. His brain felt foggy and he was starting to feel nauseated. He couldn't believe Beth was alive and she had been in Atlanta this whole time. He faintly remembers getting into an altercation with a man who was dressed in hospital scrubs. The same hospital scrubs Beth was wearing. Daryl looked down at himself and noticed he was now dressed in hospital scrubs. What was this place?

He came here alone. That meant that Brielle was alone. He started to pull at his restraints. There was no way he was going to stay in Atlanta leaving Brielle all alone. He had to get back to her.

“Hey, now, calm down, son,” a talk lanky man with glasses and a white medical coat said as he entered the room noticing Daryl was struggling against his restraints.