Chapter Five

Chapter 5

Brielle woke up shocked to find Sam lying next to her. She then looked into the hallway and saw Daryl sitting there. She wasn't sure why Daryl took Sam’s spot, but she was glad to wake up next to Sam. She hated having dreams about Jordan. She figured Daryl’s small outbursts towards her must have triggered her memory. 

She felt bad. She didn't feel as though Daryl was anything like Jordan. Jordan was a mean, selfish drunk who thought he could treat anyone how he wanted. Daryl was different. He reacted out of insecurities. There was an internal battle going on with him.

Brielle frowned, but got an idea and smiled to herself. She got up quietly and peeked out the window. The sun was just starting to rise. She quickly got her boots on and grabbed her pistol.

“Sam, come,” she said quietly and she snuck down the hallway.

There Daryl sat with his head against the wall. He had fallen asleep. She smiled slightly at how peaceful he looked. She tiptoed over him and Sam followed suit.

She quietly left the house and made sure it was secure before she and Sam headed into town. She walked down the street with Sam following her closely. She started to hum to herself. She was hoping this trip would be quick. She wanted to get back before Daryl woke up.

She got to the main street of town and slowed her pace down. It was quiet and she saw no movement. She scanned over the store names and came across small clothing store. She smiled and walked down the street cautiously.

She jumped when a walker slammed against the Plexiglas front window of the drug store. She stopped and looked at it as it clawed at the window and growled at her.

Sam started a low growl at the creature.

“Heel,” she said and Sam stopped. She started walking again with Sam on her heels.

When she got to the clothing store entrance she pushed on the door and it opened. She waited outside to see if anything would come walking towards the noise. The second time she opened the door she walked through it. The only sound she could hear was her feet crunching on the ground. The store had been pretty beaten up, but she hoped she’d find what she was looking for.

She started to walk to the back of the store to the men’s section. She sighed heavily. There wasn't much left. She made it this far, she was still going to look.

She started with the pants and bent down to search the bins. She found some pants that Daryl would probably like as they were much like the ones he was wearing. She found two pair, a dark blue and brown. She smiled at herself standing up happily.

Suddenly something grabbed her from behind and Sam barked once.

It was a walker that snuck up on them. The walker grabbed her shoulder and attempted to bite at any part of her body it could get its teeth on. She struggled for her knife that was on her hip. She kicked backwards causing the walker to fall back slightly. She turned around quickly and jabbed the knife up through the walker’s skull. It fell on top of her covering her with its blood.

“Ugh. Yuck!” she yelled and attempted to push the dead weight off of her.

She got on her hands and knees after she finally got the walker off of her. She looked up at Sam who tilted his head slightly.

“Snuck up on us, huh?” she said breathing heavily.

She slowly got up, grabbed her knife and the pants she found for Daryl.

“Damn,” she said when she saw some blood got splattered on them. She shrugged. They were still in better shape than what he had with him.

She went towards the shirts and had a feeling she would find exactly what she wanted. The racks had all been knocked over, so she started digging through the shirts on the floor. She found two button-down shirts that definitely would fit him. She stood up and took her knife out. She wiped off as much of the walker’s blood as she could and took the knife to the sleeves of the shirts making them sleeveless.