Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15

The next two days, the group scavenged the town looking for supplies. This town had fewer options than the last, so supplies were scarce.

“We should head out of here and keep going towards Missouri. This place is cashed,” Glen said to Rick and Daryl.

“How are we on gas?” Rick asked knowing Glen was right. They needed to get moving.

“Got enough to get us ‘bout 300 miles. That’s over half way to Leonard Wood,” Daryl said as he bit his lower lip.

Rick nodded at the two men that stood with him. “Alright, we head out first thing in the morning. Try to get as far as we can before looking for supplies again,” he said making a plan.

“I’ll map out our route,” Glen said and walked away.

Rick stared at Daryl who appeared deep in thought. “You okay?” he asked.

Daryl looked up at Rick and nodded.

“And Brielle? She’s doing okay?” Rick asked.

Daryl looked at him confused. “Why are you asking about Brielle?” he asked.

“She was with us in Atlanta. I was just checking in,” Rick said explaining himself.

“She’s fine,” Daryl said and walked away as well. He headed upstairs to where he and Brielle were sharing a bedroom.

He opened the door causing Brielle and Sam to both sit up in the bed. Brielle watched as Daryl set his crossbow in the corner of the room. He then walked over to the bed, sat down, and started to take off his boots.

“You okay?” Brielle asked setting her hand on his shoulder.

“Fine,” Daryl said shortly as he kicked off his boots. “We’re leaving tomorrow morning. Seeing how far we can get on the gas we have,” he said and stood up unbuckling his belt.

“Okay,” Brielle said timidly. Daryl seemed upset, but she wasn’t sure what was bothering him. She watched as he took his pants off and got into bed. He turned his back to Brielle and she sat there and stared at him.

“Are you going to tell me what’s got you so upset?” she asked.

“Hmm,” Daryl grunted, but didn’t move from his spot.

“Daryl, please talk to me,” Brielle said quietly.

Daryl sat up and looked over at Brielle. “Have you been talking to Rick?” he asked. There was hint of annoyance in his voice.

“What do you mean?” Brielle asked shaking her head with confusion.

“He was asking about how you’re doing and I can’t figure out why, unless you’ve been talking to him,” Daryl said watching Brielle closely.

“I did, talk to him, back in Georgia. It was right after Beth and I was questioning whether we were going to make it. I was questioning everything at that point,” Brielle explained the situation.

Daryl looked down into his hands.

“What, Daryl?” Brielle asked knowing he was thinking.

“You could have talked to me,” he said quietly.

“I know, but sometimes it’s good to talk to someone with less emotional investment. You talk to Carol, don’t you?” Brielle put her hand over Daryl’s hoping he’d look at her.

Daryl looked up at her touch and nodded silently.

“I talk to you, Daryl. I love you,” she said squeezing his hand.