Meet Alexa

Thunderous clapping smote the environment as my name got called out. Startled, I stared around and wondered what I had done that was so amazing.

"Come here, best cook in the world, for your trophy and a one-billion-dollar cheque," Gordon Ramsey's voice resonated through the whole stadium. My large brown eyes widened in obvious disbelief. 

Gordon Ramsey telling me that I was the best cook? It was a dream come true! My parents would finally be proud of something I did. I could use the money to build them a better house or even buy them a fancy car. I just wanted to repay them for all they had done for me.

My heart beat frantically against my chest as I stepped onto the podium to receive my reward. Just as I was about to grasp the trophy, loud beeping cut through the air and everything started dissolving into darkness.

I jerked up with a start, looked at my alarm clock and mentally cursed it. Turning off the annoying sound, I groggily got out of bed and dragged myself to the shower. The warm droplets of water falling onto my body was the most relaxing thing ever.

Twenty minutes later, I stepped out of the bathroom and put on the clothes I had chosen the previous night. They were the best clothes that existed in my run-down closet. I looked at myself in the mirror to make sure they were good enough.

I wanted to make a good impression on the first day of school, right? A sigh escaped my lips as my eyes stayed glued to the mirror, watching the pathetic reflection that I didn't recognize as mine. Yeah... Make a good impression on people who had never noticed me for two years. Why did I even bother? The only people that were likely to notice my change of style were my parents and my best friend, Alice. Sad, I know.

I finally decided to change to an outfit that seemed more like me. Comfortable jeans and a black cotton shirt was enough. Wearing some dazzling dress seemed like a complete waste of my energy.

My feeble, lazy feet found their way down the ancient wooden staircase. Creeks emanated from it with each step. I had promised myself I would fix it once I started earning my own money; the whole house actually needed some work.

 Once I got to the bottom, my eyes scanned the kitchen and fell on my mother, beautiful as ever, preparing breakfast. The golden rays of the morning sun made her blonde hair shine - a beautiful effect that never failed to awe me. Her eyes would also glow golden brown each time the sun's rays hit them at the perfect angle. I could only wish I had her beauty.

"Hi, honey," she said, not looking up from the frying pan she was holding. The aroma of the eggs she was frying pulled me over to the kitchen. "Hi mom," I replied once I got to the kitchen counter.

Mom put the fried egg onto a plate then added some delicious-looking bacon onto it. A genuine smile crept onto my face as she pushed the plate towards me. Noticing my smile, she also smiled and poured me a cup of tea.

"The smile on your face is the purpose of my existence," she chuckled as she handed me the tea. 

An embarrassed flush coloured my cheeks. "Well, I've always told you that your cooking is a treasure you're hiding from the world," I stated, grabbing the plate with my other hand.

"That's nonsense. You are hiding your treasure from the world. Anyone who has tasted your food will testify. I'm way too old to chase fame for my food, anyway. I'll be banking on you to do all that I was too scared to do at your age," she said with a meaningful smile.