08 | W r e n

Ragan's mom was alive, and no one understood why. I could clearly recall the day that Ragan showed up at our house and begged for a place to stay. Her mom had died, and her father left her. It was the only time before this that I'd seen her cry. Now, she was sprawled out across the cold metal floor like a complete mess. Her arms were gripped around her mother's neck, and tears streamed down her blotchy face. General Hatis stood behind his wife like a statue, unmoving and expressionless.

"Diana, we should go somewhere more hospitable where you can rest," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

After a long pause, she nodded and stood, clutching the blanket that draped across her shoulders. Ragan stood as well, moving to follow her mother as two medics ushered her away, but General Hatis caught her by the sleeve, holding her still. When Ragan's mother left the storage room, she spun around and shoved the general away. "How dare you!" She spat in his face, fury etched across hers.

General Hatis seemed confused. "How dare I what? Bring you here to see your mother? Give you back the one element of life that you long for? How dare I what, daughter?" His voice was gentle and quiet in contrast to Ragan's, almost innocent.

She scoffed at him. "How hollow are you? You keep a picture of my mother on your desk? You cheated on her and mistreated her for years, and now you act as though you've always been by her side. You pretend that this war is about restoring peace to the realm, but we all know you're in it to establish power over your son. You're a coward and a hypocrite, and I'm ashamed to be your daughter!"

Her voice echoed throughout the room, following her as she bolted down the hall. Adara, Ember, Rhea, Calix, and I were left in the room with General Hatis, who's scowl stretched all the way to his chin. He didn't make a single move to stop her. It stumped me as to why so many people had chosen to join the rebellion when they knew the motive and the coward running it all. I knew why I was here: to seek refuge. The government was after our heads, and this was the only place we could hide.

I sighed and left the room, the weight of my footsteps on the floor creating a thumping sound as I walked. As I made my way down the hall, I heard a chorus of softer thumps trailing behind me. I slowed my pace and let them catch up to me. The five of us walked in silence. Ember was directly to my left, and Adara was on my right. Rhea and Calix walked behind us, confined by the narrow hall. Adara excused herself when we passed her room, complaining of a headache.

When we reached the end of the hall and came to the stairs leading to the Pit, Calix turned to go up. "I've got some work to do, sorting out rations and stuff," he mumbled as he climbed.

Rhea observed those who remained, and after seeing that Ember and I were the only ones left, she clapped a hand on my shoulder and brushed past us to follow Calix up the stairs. "I just don't want to third-wheel," she smirked. "Gods sustain you, Peros."

I felt a blush begin to form near my neck from her comment. Soon, it was just me and Ember standing on the stairwell silently. Honestly, I doubted anything would happen between us. The last time we were alone, an army attacked us, which isn't exactly comforting. I motioned down the stairs, and we began our descent.

"It's kind of crazy, right?" Ember commented as we hugged the wall.

I crinkled my brow. "What do you mean?"

"Ragan's mom just rose from the dead. That's impossible."

"Nothing's impossible." I slipped on one of the stairs but caught myself before I could fall on her. "Jesus rose from the dead, so it's not impossible."