16 | A d a r a

We were waiting outside the Regal Duchess, the hangar swarming with rebels. August and Everly had climbed in to do a routine maintenance check while the rest of us waited. It was a good thing they had to do that because Ragan and Rhea were nowhere in sight. I thought it was peculiar for those two to disappear together and hoped they hadn't picked a fight amongst themselves.

Bear had volunteered to accompany us and was standing at one of the wings of the plane, examining his knives. Calix clapped Giovanni on the back before parting ways. Giovanni had insisted that he ride with the other rebels.

Wren and Ember stood behind me, talking in hushed tones. I could hear Wren's calming voice as he assured Ember that everything would be fine.

I grabbed my hair and weaved it into a loose braid that trickled down my back, tying it off with a strip of softened leather. The black shirt I wore lifted as I tied, and I pulled it down in annoyance. The fabric was soft and cold, meant to keep one's body temperature down. It was loose around my neck.

The sleeves were much too long for my arms, and I had to roll them up a couple of times. I had smooth black body armor strapped to my chest and elbows, thankful for the extra support. The black stretchy pants I wore fit to my body perfectly in contrast to the rest of the ensemble.

Everyone around me wore the same uniform I did, some filling the pockets of their pants with hidden weapons. General Hatis had called for an attack on Porthmore, although it was really only a rescue mission. We had to be prepared for anything, so it was better to over-exaggerate the situation than not.

I knelt down and tightened the laces of my black boots, becoming anxious. Where were those two? August and Everly had finished the examination and were cleared for takeoff. They lowered the cargo door, turning it into a ramp for us to climb into the plane.

"Where are Ragan and Lieutenant Skeldon?" August asked, walking down the ramp.

Everly crossed her arms. "Let's hope they're not trying to kill each other. Again."

I shook my head. "They disappeared on our way over. I didn't even notice until a few minutes ago."

August sighed. "You'd think they would have a more urgent mindset considering the circumstances."

Just then, Rhea and Ragan came running through the hangar dressed in the gear we had been assigned, pushing people aside. Rhea had a black duffel bag in hand. Her auburn hair flew wildly behind her.

"Finally," Everly groaned.

August crossed his arms as they came to a stop next to the ramp. "What took so long?"

Rhea breathed heavily as she answered. "Had to run an errand."

"On whose orders?"

She cocked an eyebrow. "I do believe I'm your commanding officer, Captain, so forgive me if I don't disclose my actions."

He paused, "Load up."

August shut his mouth after that and disappeared into the plane behind Everly. The seven of us piled in after them, Bear bringing up the rear.

When I climbed in, August handed me a paper bag. "Just in case you get queasy."

I politely declined. "I can stomach it." I hoped it was true.