24

Maddox felt more alive than he had in months. Valasia had touched him and somehow restored the energy he had lost. She had mercy on him, something he knew he didn't deserve. Ragan showed mercy on him, too.

He watched her now as she stood next to him. She had changed so much since they were children. Gone was the dimpled smile that made her grey eyes glitter. Her cheeks had hollowed out, adorned with a long white scar. Ragan's eyes held a darkness to them that he had not seen until now. Just by looking at them, he understood the horrors she had gone through.

Maddox blamed himself. She could have been happy. If only he hadn't let her leave that day. He almost stopped her. If Maddox had just apologized and begged her to stay, Ragan's life could have been better. Oremis never would have had a hold on this world. But his pride got in the way. All that bloodshed and damage for nothing because of his pride and arrogance.

Maddox reached out to her now, his fingers brushing the sleeve of her shirt. She stiffened, her head whipping around to look at him. He retracted his hand quickly. But she didn't seem mad. Instead, Ragan looked surprised. She stared at him, eyes wide and curious.

"I'm sorry, Ragan," he muttered so only she could hear.

He felt ashamed to be her brother. She deserved better. Maddox stayed away from her for all those years to benefit himself. Never once did he think about her. At least, until he learned about Ember.

He was ashamed of everything he had done to her, too. Maddox had tried to kill Ember out of hate and fear that she threatened his rule. He had kidnapped her brother on Oremis's orders.

The demon had controlled him and used him like a puppet for almost a year. He thought Oremis could grant him the power he longed for, but once it was too late, he realized Oremis's true intentions. Maddox wanted to stop him, to break the bond, but by then he was too weak.

To his surprise, Ragan touched his arm. "You were afraid, Maddox. I can't blame you for that."

"But you can blame me for everything else. This is all my fault," he admitted, glancing at the sand. "I never should have said those things to you that night. If I had been a better brother, none of this would have happened."

Ragan did the unthinkable: she pulled him into a hug. He tensed as her arms wrapped around his shoulders. Her forehead rested against his chest. It took him a moment before he slowly brought his arms up to embrace her back.

By now, Maddox could see everyone around them watching. He didn't care. His sister was hugging him. Who was this girl? She was different now. Only months ago, she had held a knife to his throat. She had been ready to end him and the fighting going on. But now, she held him like they were the closest they'd ever been. Her warmth and love towards him reminded him of their mother.

Wait. Maddox pulled away, head spinning. He looked down into his sister's grey eyes.

"Is Mother really alive?" he whispered. His throat tightened at the thought of getting to see her again.
Ragan grinned. "She is."

He broke down, sliding into the sand. His hands shook as he covered his face with them. Tears welled up in his eyes. The shame in his chest grew. He didn't want her to see him like this. He wished he had never taken over Auchterton three years ago. He had turned into a monster.