15 | E m b e r

It felt like there was a boulder sinking its weight on my chest. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. Tyler had been taken because of me. He was gone, somewhere beyond our knowledge. I wondered if he was scared, confused, alone. Every part of me wanted to reach out and search for him, hold him until all was better.

Instead, I was stuck underground with a force of supernatural beings on an island that no one knew was inhabited.

"We have to find him," I said to no one in particular, still dazed. My hands gripped Wren's sleeve, and his arms were wrapped around me as I sat on the floor.

He wiped my face fresh of tears. "We will, Em. We'll find him."

General Hatis along with the officers and my friends had made their way over to us, spreading the news of Tyler's disappearance. He had sent all members of the intelligence branch to work. Some of them were spies, and they raced out of the room to make their way to Porthmore dressed in freshly pressed suits and silk dresses. August volunteered to take them in his plane. I longed to go with them, but the general made me stay back. He didn't want me compromising the mission. In fact, none of us were allowed to go along. Our faces were still plastered on the giant display screens all across the realm. Even Calix, who's role in the rebellion had been a spy, was not permitted to leave.

Cleo stayed behind, monitoring the progress being made in the control room. After much bantering and deliberation, General Hatis sent Colonel Peros to prepare the rebels for a possible attack on Porthmore. He was told to wait on the general's command. Captain Blais was sent with him to make an announcement about the current situation, and Commander Tanmos went to alert the guards on perimeter check.

"What am I to do, sir?" Rhea asked when they'd all left.

He sighed and eyed me. "Make sure she doesn't do anything stupid." Rhea nodded and moved to my side. I had finally stood and composed myself, no longer leaning on Wren for comfort.

Ragan scoffed. "And I suppose we're going to sit here and wait for what? Maddox isn't going to just come out and tell us where Ember's brother is."

"We will wait for a report from the intelligence branch before acting on anything. Your commanding officers are quite aware of that and will put an end to any schemes you have planned," General Hatis warned.

I felt worried. "Tyler is a wild boy. Maddox could become tired of him quickly if he's not careful. What if he doesn't have as much time as we think?"

"We don't know what he has planned for the boy," The general began. "I refuse to risk the lives of my people without an accurate understanding of the situation. For all we know, your brother may not even be in Porthmore."

I sighed frustratedly and tried to remain calm. If it were one of his family members instead, would he act the same way? I doubted he would waste any second if Diana had been taken. I pushed past Rhea and towards the door once again, dodging Bear who had been guarding it. "I need some air."

This time, Rhea was the one to follow me, sticking to her orders. She was silent until we entered the hall and the door creaked shut. "What are you doing?" she asked.

I gripped my hair, pulling on my scalp. "I can't just wait around and do nothing, Rhea. He's my brother."

She crossed her arms. "I understand. I have a little sister back at home who I'd do anything for. She's the reason I'm here."