12

The streets were flooded with cars lined up bumper to bumper with each other. The echoes of honks and pitter-patter of raindrops filled the air. People walked along the sidewalks holding umbrellas and keeping to themselves. Townhouses and apartment buildings stretched along the horizon. Seattle, what a dull place next to the riches and wonders of Porthmore.

Maddox found himself in an alley, focused on one particular house. It was green, but not the kind of green that made him chastise the people of this world. The green was soft and dark like the trees of a forest. It was a pleasant color. But that wasn't the reason he was here.

There was a rocking chair on the front porch. It swayed back and forth gently from the weight of the little boy residing in it. He was reading a book. His pale face demonstrated the utmost concentration, unaware of the fact that his legs were swinging in a steady beat. Maddox envied the boy who had not a care in the world sitting there reading his book. It was pleasant to watch, just like the house he sat under was pleasant. The boy had the most pleasant lifestyle anyone could ask for. It made Maddox sick.

He disappeared from the alley, wrapping the world around him like a blanket. Moments later, he was behind a shrub a few houses down from the pleasant, forest green townhouse with the pleasant little boy. Scanning the area around him, Maddox eyed a flyer pinned to a nearby utility pole. A picture of a girl was plastered on it. She was smiling. She had curly blonde hair and big green eyes. Maddox stared at the photo, anger filling his soul. The flyer burst to life with hot flames despite the rain. It shriveled and curled under the pressure of the heat, burning to ashes in seconds. The ashes floated away into the dark sky.

Maddox inched forward, the fabric of his black sleeve catching on the leaves of the shrub. He shivered from the cold raindrops that ran down his face and neck, soaking his clothes. He closed his eyes and magnified the little amount of body heat he had. The next raindrop that landed on his cheek evaporated almost immediately. He sighed at the warmth and proceeded with his task. His master would not be merciful if he failed.

He molded into the world once again, twisting between dimensions. It had taken him a while to become comfortable with the power that House Zian possessed, but now he could shift between dimensions with only a thought.

Maddox emerged closer this time, pressing himself against the green paneling of the house. He was right behind the boy. Still, the little one was lost in the magic of his book. Maddox wished his escape could be that easy. He pushed all those thoughts aside, knowing his master was always lurking in his mind.

He was about to strike when a small spotted cat rounded the corner. It was skinny and had wide eyes that trained on him the moment Maddox moved. The cat then snarled and bared its pointed teeth at him, hissing. The thin layer of fur stood tall on its back.

That got the boy's attention. "Nala, pipe down," he scolded.

Maddox readied himself as the boy closed his book and turned around in the rocking chair. The cat hissed once more and inched towards him. The little boy's green eyes widened in fear when he saw Maddox perched against the side of the house. Maddox pushed off the house and leisurely strode towards the railing of the porch, the only thing separating him from his prey.

"Now, that's no way to talk to your cat." He spoke softly, leaning against the railing.

The boy jumped off the chair and backed away towards the front door. His cat crouched protectively in front of him.

Maddox flashed to the door in seconds, blocking the boy's escape. His eyes grew even wider than before as he frantically glanced back and forth between Maddox and the railing.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," he threatened.

The cat pounced. A gust of harsh wind knocked her aside. She skidded to the edge of the stairs and wailed in surprise. Maddox didn't move a muscle.

"Nala!" the boy cried. He tried to rush to her, but Maddox snapped his arm out and gripped the boy's wrist. He pulled him close and the world wrapped around him once more.

"It's time to pay your sister a visit."