Chapter 7: Gisele

Chapter 7: Gisele

So, it turns out I can actually have a conversation with Wesley Hawkes. He's still arrogant, but I can tolerate him. He's funny without actually being funny. Let's just say I'm never laughing with him but at him. He has a stick up his butt like he can't enjoy himself or have fun. So, I'm always laughing at him. He really asked me my age. To give him credit, he did come back with a nice compliment. Then he blew that compliment by telling me he's 37. But he looks damn good for a guy almost forty, I must say. I would have guessed he was 25, but since I know he's a surgeon, I knew he had to be older than that. Honest, he's still pretty young to be a surgeon.

He had me thinking a lot about my job. I was really starting to miss it.

Overall, I did not mind his company, so when Crystal decided to head out early, I really didn't mind. It was odd that they left their first date. This was beginning to feel like a setup, but as Wesley pointed out before, this is not a date. Additionally, he's married. I am not ready to get back into the dating game. I just got out of an abusive relationship. I wasn't interested in finding love or someone to scratch an itch. I'm not sure what Crystal was up to. Either she really wanted some time with Jeremy, or she was setting me up. If she wanted time with Jeremy, she should not have invited me.

After they left, we ate our food and their food in silence. We even stayed for dessert and some salsa dancing. Wesley seemed so tight and dull, so when a song came on, I knew I had pulled him out of his seat. For a minute, he looked at me like I was crazy. I wondered what his wife was like. Was she boring, too? A part of me had a feeling they may be having issues. I know he stated that this was not a date, which I agree with. But what man comes out with two other women and does not bring his wife?

Anyway, I put my hands on my hips and gave him a serious look until he got up from the table.

He reluctantly stood up and followed me to the floor. I showed him a few dance moves that he tried to do, but he was very stiff with it. I could tell he doesn't get out much. Maybe his wife is a surgeon too, and they work a lot. Who knows? Wesley needed to loosen up.

Once we were finished dancing, we returned to the table to grab our jackets.

"Where did you park?" Wesley asked me.

I think he was just trying to make conversation.

"I actually didn't drive, but it's not far." That's when I realized I did not have the car keys. "Shit"

"What?"

"Crystal didn't give me the car key," I laughed to myself. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed her number as we continued to walk to the car. Of course, she did not answer her phone. From the look on Wesley's face, he knew she wasn't picking up, so he pulled out his phone and dialed probably Jeremy's number.

It turns out neither one of them was answering.

"Hopkins is not far from here. I'll just call a cab to take us to my car, and then I can drop you off." He informed me.

I nodded my head and dialed Crystal one last time. When she didn't answer, I left a message informing her where she could find her car. I secretly hoped it would be towed just for a little bit of retribution. When the cabbie arrived, Wesley opened the door so I could get in. For an arrogant guy, he knew how to be a gentleman. He held open all the doors for me and even helped me put on my jacket. It was starting to feel like a date, but I knew better.

"Earlier, you were telling me you haven't been working?" he asked once we were in the cab.

I knew exactly what he was talking about. "Yeah, I haven't actually been to work in weeks." I pause in thought for a second. "Actually, months...two months, to be exact," I informed him.

I have been too depressed to even think about work until today. This outing was good for me, and even talking with Wesley was good for my depression.

"Why? You seem to love your career even though I could never do such a job."

"Why? Because you're better than people?" I pushed.

"I tend to think people need to help themselves...."

Before he could finish, I cut in, "You know what you are an asshole." I looked away from him and to the cabbie; I said, "Can you just pull over by the lit rail station? I would rather walk than spend two more minutes with this guy."

I can't tell you why his words pissed me off, but they did. It always seemed like he was judging others. He probably grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth.

Once the cab stopped, he said, "I'll get out." I stared at him. "Just take the cab home," he ordered before he got out.

He was still a gentleman, and if he wasn't a complete asshole, I could appreciate it. I couldn't even argue with him because he had already gotten out of the cab. I took the cab back to Crystal's place. I had plans to enjoy some ice cream and watch Netflix. That was the plan until I saw Jeremy and Crystal on the dining room table with whipped cream. They were like two dogs in heat. I shut the door behind me as fast as I could. I sat on the floor adjacent to her apartment door. I thought they were going back to Jeremy's place, but I guess I was wrong. It was now time for me to move out. I had to return to work and find a new place to live ASAP. This outing was perfect for me; it made me realize I had to get me back. I had let Jackson take a lot from me. I was no longer going to do that.

As I waited for Crystal and Jeremy to finish, I called my supervisor. It was eight at night, but I knew she would still be in the office, that's why I called her office phone and not her cell. She was ready for me to return to work; apparently, the place hadn't been the same without me. We talked a little about the Jackson situation. Actually, we didn't talk about it; she just informed me about a self-defense class she was taking. She thought I should consider it. We talked for a few more minutes, and then we hung up. Of course, everyone at my job knew what happened to me. I was probably the topic of everyone's lunch conversation. That was just great

Crystal swung the front door open a few minutes after I got off the phone. "I'm so sorry, Gisele, I thought you and Wesley were hitting it off..."

"What did you think I would go home with him," I cut in. From the look on her face, she really did think I would have a one-night stand with that asshat. She was trying to set me up. "He's married, remember," I informed her as I walked past her and into the apartment.

"O yeah, you did mention that, but I thought Jeremy said he was single. O well."

"I thought you were going to Jeremy's place?" I questioned.

"I live closer to the city," She informed me.

"By the way, your car is still at the restaurant. You forgot to give me the key," I added.

"Shit!"