Chapter 11: Gisele

Chapter 11: Gisele

I have no idea what made me invite Dr. Wesley Hawkes to volunteer with me. A big part of me knew he wouldn't show, but I wanted him to. I don't know what it was, but he enticed me. There were so many levels to Dr. Wesley Hawkes. I'm convinced that his arrogant attitude is just a persona. How could a man be such a gentleman and be so self-absorbed? I really wanted to get to know the real him and why it is he hides behind this arrogant persona. I like to try to figure people out. I'm unsure if I will ever figure Wesley out, but I want to try. I know how trauma can affect a person. Something told me Wesley had a suitcase full of trauma.

"Do you think he'll show," Crystal asked me as I made myself a cup of coffee?

"I'm sure he won't be there," I informed her.

"Do you like him..."

"He's married," I cut in before she could finish her statement.

Even if Wesley Hawkes was not married, I would not be romantically interested in him. He's good-looking and brilliant, but I can't tolerate his arrogance for longer than five minutes, even if it was just a persona. That's the biggest issue is my own trauma. I could never trust another man. I will not allow myself to be hurt again.

"I don't really think he is. When we left you guys alone, Jeremy said he wasn't really married," was Crystal's response.

I am trying to understand what that means. How are you not really married? That doesn't make sense to me. Jeremy was probably trying to get his friend some ass. You know how men think. Or maybe Wesley and his Wife are separated and going through a divorce. To men, that means he's not really married. If you are not really married, why wear a wedding ring? Something is not adding up.

"He has a wedding ring," I informed her. She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm out. See you later," I said to her before walking out the door.

Usually, Crystal would be headed out the door with me, but tonight, she had a hot date with a doctor, so I was on my own. The whole way there, I was thinking about Wesley. What if he does show up? What would I say or do? I was absolutely sure he wouldn't show up until I entered the shelter.

The first person I saw as I walked into the shelter was Wesley, and yes, I do me, Doctor Wesley Hawkes. I literally did a double-take. He was standing by the clothes donation box talking to Michael, a regular at the shelter. They seemed to be engaged in a serious conversation. I don't know Michael well, mainly because he normally keeps to himself. I do know he was in the army, or at least I think he was.

I caught Wesley Hawkes' attention as I moved toward the kitchen. I gave him a shy weave, and he nodded. I slipped into the kitchen to get ready for my shift. I put on an apron and a hair net. Right as I turned to walk back out to the front, in walked Wesley with a grin on his face. He looked sexy with his half-grin. Those dimples made me nervous. I had to shake my head to get the thought of him sexually out of my head. He's married, was what I had to keep telling myself.

"Dr. Hawkes, I never thought I would see you here," I said sarcastically.

"Please just call me Wesley," he said so formally. "I thought I would see what this was all about." He informed me.

I was absolutely sure he would never show, and I guess he proved me wrong.' I gestured for him to follow me. I showed him around and introduced him to some of the other volunteers. Afterward, I took my place behind the hot plates with Wesley nearby. Wesley only lasted 15 minutes before he walked away from the hot plates. To my surprise, he went back to talking to Michael. I would look over at Wesley and Michael occasionally to see if they were still engaged in a conversation. For an hour, they talked to each other like they were old college buddies who hadn't seen each other in a while.