21

I am helping Nina set the table for breakfast, I woke up very early this morning due to a stinging headache. "Hey, late risers" Duncan says making me look over at the door, Kinsey, Bode and Tyler walk into the room.

I flash them a smile and sit down at the table, "Uncle, Dunc!" Bode squeals giving his uncle a hug. "Hey, what, you guys had a raucous night or something last night?" Duncan asks.

"Or something" Tyler sighs, "get it while it's hot" Nina says referring to the food. "Look at this spread, did you make this?" Kinsey asks Duncan. "No, No, this is all your mom and Angel. They've been working on the breakfast for hours." He tells her.

"Delicioso" Bode says, making me smile a bit. I grab a pancake and sirup, pouring in a glass of orange juice. "Does anyone know what happened to dad's car? It felt like I was driving in a blender." Nina asks.

I look up from my plate and almost choke on a piece of pancake, I shake my head. I swallow my food and reply, "No clue".

"I guess I'll have to, uh, take it to the shop" she tells us and sits down at the head of the table. "Okay, before anyone runs off, we need to have a little family meeting" Nina says. I stand up to walk away, but I am stopped.

"You and Duncan need to be here too" she says, so I sit back down.

"I made a mistake moving us here. I thought it was a good idea at the time. I wanted to learn more about your dad's past, and I thought the change would do us good. I dragged all of you out here against your wishes, and now, we get to go back home" Nina says, I now fully choke on my food, coughing trying to calm myself down.

"This house is in good enough shape for us to sell, and we can use that money to buy a great new house in Seattle. And that will be our house! We'll just consider this as a necessarily little side-trip. At least for me. But now, we can go back to our normal lives." she finishes.

I look down at my plate not knowing what to do or say to her, I can't go back there. To my parents, my past. And as it stays quiet she decides to speak up again. "Okay, don't everybody jump for joy all at once" she says.

"We actually like it here" Kinsey says, "Yeah, I mean, it did seem like a shitty idea at the time." Ty says. "Now, we love it here" Bode happily exclaims. "I wouldn't wanna say love it, bit I don't.. I don't want to move again".

"Me either" I say, "Seriously? You guys want to stay?" Nina asks us. We all nod our heads, "I just felt like I made a horrible mistake" she tells us with her voice cracking slightly.

"You didn't" I reassure her, Kinsey pulls her into a hug. Which leads to a group hug, I finally feel happy for the first time since months.

~~~

We are walking towards the edge of the cliff again, with the urn full of Rendell's ashes. We are going to free him today, here in Matheson. I am starring at the beautiful view of the ocean and the setting sun.

Nina opens the urn and lets all of the ashes get taken with the wind. "You're home now Rendell. We're home.", we all just stand there hugging each other. But then I am pulled aside, by none other than Tyler.

"Can we talk now then? Please?" he asks me, I nod my head and we walk away from the rest of his family.

"So about what I said, I-" I start but I am cut off by Tyler, "I feel the same" he says. I am a bit taken aback by what he just said. "Really?" I ask him in disbelieve. "Yes!" he tells me. I smile, but then think about something that makes me frown.

"What?" he asks me concerned, "What about Jackie? I saw you guys almost kiss when we were going to get rid of Dodge" I say.

"Oh you saw that completely wrong, I tried to whisper in her ear that I needed to talk to her later. So when you ran out of the caves, we talked and I told her I liked someone else. She was okay with it" He explains.

I smile up at him and pull him in a hug, "I'm so happy" I mumble into his shirt. "Same" He says with a small chuckle. He pulls away and puts his hand under my chin making me look at him, he pulls me closer to him until our lips meet.

I smile into the kiss and we pull away, "Yeah! Finally" we hear Kinsey and Bode cheer. I turn around to face them with a bright red face. Tyler looks somewhat confused about what they said, but the Bode explains.

"She told us she likes you" he says.

~~~

a/n:

Hiiiii! So this the first book is completed and I can't wait to start writing the sequel! If you liked this book please let me know:) 

see you soon!