【FIRST GEAR】

TW: The following story contains violence and murders.

✧✧✧

ι ∂ση'т ℓινє ιη ∂αякηєѕѕ, ∂αякηєѕѕ ℓινєѕ ιη мє

✧✧✧

Rea's first reaction to the light was to jut out his hand in a feeble attempt to cover it up. Stubbornly, the light shined through in between his slender fingers. He quickly shut his jade green eyes tightly to keep the shining light out. The outside world was so bright and so unlike the world that he had just gotten adjusted to. Hearing the laughing people outside, he scoffed. How could they be so happy when their world around them is falling apart? The thought sickened him and he shut the thick red curtain to engulf the room back into darkness.

"It hurts," he hissed softly to himself. His pale white skin was sensitive to the sunlight and there was a stinging sensation on his cheek because of it. He rubbed the area and sat up on the sofa, looking at the pile of clothes that hung at the edge of the sofa's armrest. Suits, jumpers and night wears, all made with high quality fabric and perfectly tailored to his measurements.

He observed the room he was in; dark, quiet, lonely. Mannequins of his size were scattered around the room; some were dressed and some still had pins sticking out and scraps of fabric draped over the sides. His bed was neatly made and cold since Rea did not sleep there because, due to some circumstances, he was unable to climb on the high queen-sized bed.

Rea suddenly heard the sound of faint footsteps in the hallway and then watched as the door creaked open. A man with blonde hair and piercing blue eyes greeted him with a tray of food, clothes that he had never seen before and a tool box. Rea's eyes followed the movement of the man to a small low table at which they both sat at. The man placed all of his gifts on the table and looked to Rea.

"You are awake?" the man asked. The question must have been rhetorical, for the answer was obvious. Rea took a piece of bread from the plate which now sat on top of the table. The blonde sat beside him and opened a letter. The cover read, 'To Sir Taurent.'

Rea looked over to him. He had a clear face, evident jawline and was properly dressed. Taurent was a very masculine looking man, women in their city always flocked to him. In addition, Taurent knew how to do the chores around the house, even though Rea was the servant of his manor.

Taurent chuckled as he caught a glimpse of Rea trying to read the letter. "It's a letter from Kral. He said his son will come to the shop today to look for a doll for his sister. So, be on your best behavior, alright?" Taurent's voice was gentle but the words he spoke were firm. He did not ask for Rea to be on his best behavior, he ordered him to. Rea simply nodded and gazed down to his feet.

"Put your leg here," Taurent said, patting his lap. Rea complied, gingerly lifting up his wooden leg while he continued to nibble on the croissant. Taurent frowned to the sight of the loose screws and joints. He pulled his tool box closer to him and took out a screwdriver.

The time went by slowly and quietly. Only the sounds of screws clinking and the fixing of gears filled the room as Rea watched Taurent working on repairing his mechanical leg in complete silence. This man was very good with his hands. He was a dollmaker and could sew beautiful clothes too. Unfortunately, Taurent was a petty person and never let anyone use or wear his pieces if he did not deem them worthy. Only the dolls and the beautiful could, just like Rea. This explained why he never wavered to the flirtatious behavior of the women day by day. He didn't see them as worthy of his attention.

"Done," Taurent slowly put Rea's repaired leg down and offered his hand to help Rea stand. Rea took his hand and stood up, walking a few steps to test out if the leg truly worked. The blonde smiled, satisfied with his work, and turned to the clothes he brought in that day. A brand-new waistcoat, tailored perfectly, to show the flattering features of Rea. Its color, a harmonious blend of black and red, complimented Rea's black hair and fair skin.

"I made a new one for you," Taurent said as he walked towards Rea. He slowly unbuttoned Rea's shirt. It was always like this, Rea was not allowed to do things for himself unless told to. Rea could not eat unless it was time. Rea could not go out of his room unless Taurent asked him to either watch his doll shop below or let him roam around the manor. All of his movements were carefully monitored by Taurent.

"I hope from now on you will be more careful. I don't want you to fall down from the stairs again," the warning tone in Taurent's voice didn't cover the feeling of care and worry for Rea. Taurent thought of him as his most prized possession. He should not see any scratches or bruises on Rea, especially his face. He took very extra care of him as if he was much more delicate than the dolls he made.

Taurent caressed his face and let out a deep sigh, "My beautiful, beautiful Rea. What can I do without you? You are the most beautiful creation I have." Taurent carefully pulled him into his arms for a very cautious embrace. Honestly, Rea did not hate it, he actually loved it. To be taken care of, to always be in someone's mind, he felt important.

There was someone else who was once important to him, Rea thought, Master had a beautiful wife once. The bloodied scene of a lifeless woman with long flowing wavy red hair and luscious lips brushed with an expensive hue of red flashed in his mind. Taurent was a bit of a psychopath, but no one suspected the kind dollmaker.

He was obsessed on everything beautiful. He did not like to see any imperfections. That was the mistake his late wife made. She could have been the pretty doll Taurent thought of her as. She could have not caused any problems, well-mannered and lavishly dressed with the clothes handmade by Taurent, but she refused. She broke the unspoken rules of the manor and therefore needed to be brutally punished.

"Come," Taurent patted Rea's shoulder after he slowly broke the long embrace, "It is time to open the shop."

Taurent opened the door for Rea and they both walked down the hallways of the manor. The public would think the two of them esteemed gentlemen, as if they weren't master and servant. In truth, Taurent took over Rea's life. He was just a puppet, carefully kept to be adored by his master.

Rea did not object but instead, he was thankful. He would have been dead on the street with his organs spilled out if it wasn't for Taurent. It was natural to devote his whole being to the person who had saved him. For his master, he would be willing to throw away everything; even his future.