【GEAR 5】

✧✧✧

ƒяιєη∂ѕнιρ ιѕ α ℓιgнт, ιη ∂αяк тιмєѕ

✧✧✧

The grandfather clock in the shop was ticking by as two boys were busy finishing puzzles on the counter. Rea was sitting on the stool while Haemi was standing over the puzzle, his face in complete focus. Sometimes, the freckled boy would yawn and just watch Rea searching for some pieces. "Hey, let me sit. I'm tired," Haemi groaned and he extended and bent his legs.

Rea ignored him and continued to put the pieces together. Haemi, scratching his head, started to slide down at the side of the counter and sat on the floor. Rea was almost finished with his puzzles and was looking for the last piece. He searched the counter, where only the puzzle pieces of his and Haemi's puzzles laid and some items belonging to the shop were. In a panic, Rea also checked his body in case the piece had fallen into him and then into the floor.

Rea frowned, unable to find the piece. To get Haemi's attention, he hit the boy with his shin. "Ouch!" Haemi sofly exclaimed. He then looked to Rea for an explanation. Rea pointed to the other boy's hand. It turned out Haemi was holding the last piece. Haemi let out a nervous laugh, stood up and gave Rea the last part. The puzzles showed a large crowd with a tent in the middle. Rea cocked his head at the puzzle, unsure on what the tent was.

"A circus."

Rea tilted his head to the other boy. Haemi sighed, "It's a circus. Don't tell me you haven't been to one."

Rea shook his head and averted his gaze to the puzzles. A lot of people were going into the tent. It seemed fun, but Rea was not a person who loved to be in such places. People would bump with each other and things would be a mess.

"Sometimes I wonder, what fun things have you done in life?" Haemi asked while he searched in his pocket. He then pulled out a piece of crumpled paper with a tent similar to the one in the puzzle on it. He pointed to it and asked, "There will be a circus coming to this city tomorrow. Would you like to come?"

Rea observed the paper as Haemi explained what else would be present such as clowns, fire breathing people and acrobats. Rea's eyes glistened, Fire breathing people? Are they like the dragons in Haemi's book?

Spotting how Rea seemed to be interested, Haemi pushed the paper to the boy after he scribbled on the back.

"Show this to Sir Taurent and tell him you wanted to go see the circus with me," Haemi said as he took his messenger bag and put the strap over his shoulder. He waved goodbye and walked out of the door.

The clock showed that it was almost 6 in the evening. It was time to close the shop. Rea flipped the open sign to closed and locked the door. Before he went upstairs, he made sure all of the lights had been turned off.

He cleaned himself and changed before he climbed to his bed. He then settled in with a plate of food that was on the table beside his bed. It had a paper-wrapped sandwich, with an empty glass and a jug filled with plain water.

Taurent had left Rea a note that said he would be meeting his client today, so he was given the task to wash and dress himself. It was not as if Rea was five years old, of course he could do it pretty well. The master was just too protective and afraid to the point that he thought Rea would mess things up. It was just a simple job. Rea pursed his lips. He wished the master would trust him a little bit more.

Rea opened the same book Haemi had lent him a few days ago. He had not finished reading it, as he was not a reader to begin with, but the story was enough to keep him hooked. Just as he had started his latest chapter, the door to his bedroom creaked open and Rea saw a familiar figure standing by the door.

Taurent seemed pleased on how Rea was eating the food he made, already changed to his nightwear and was already tucked into bed. The adult walked inside and took a seat on the chair near the giant queen-sized bed.

"Do you have something to tell me? You have been eyeing me from the moment I stepped in."

Rea nodded and showed him the crinkled paper that was now neatly folded with just the finest wrinkles left. Taurent took it in his hand to see what it was. He turned to the back and saw a writing that said, 'Don't worry, sir! I will take care of Rea.'

Rea could see that Taurent was a bit displeased at the idea of him going out to such a crowded space. However, since Lord Kral and him shared a bond, it was not a wise decision to refuse the invitation of the son. Taurent tapped his fingers on the table, heaving a sigh, "I shall follow both of you to the circus. The shop will not be open tomorrow."

Taurent hoisted himself from his seat and as he was about to walk out, Rea stopped him by holding to the hem of his waistcoat. Taurent turned to Rea and saw Rea was pointing to a word in the book. Taurent took a closer look and smiled.

"Devotion. It means loyalty, just like how you are supposed to devote yourself to me."

Devotion, it sounded like a nice word for Rea. Was the feeling of his attachment to Taurent really a devotion? A soft smile made its way to Rea's face. Taurent, in shock, immediately put Rea's face into his hands. Taking the rarely smiling face of Rea, Taurent grinned.

"Rea, you smiled. Do you like it? The idea of leaving yourself to me? The sense of trusting your whole being to me? To devote your existence only to me?"

Rea nodded and his smile widened. Taurent was happy and it made Rea's little heart sing, the boy's pleasure to always satisfy the master fulfilled.

Taurent stood with his face in his palm in a meager attempt to hide his happy expression. The blonde went to the door and as he closed it, he reminded Rea, "Sleep well tonight, tomorrow will be a new experience for you."

Rea flopped to bed. He was excited for the next day. He took one of the dolls that decorated the walls above his head. He breathed and spoke in a small voice, "The master is happy."

Even with one short sentence, Rea's throat went sore as he coughed, quickly drinking the water he poured into the glass beside his bed. He laid back down and the fuzzy feelings in him drifted him off to sleep.