【GEAR 20】

✧✧✧

уσυ αяє ησт мιηє αηу ℓσηgєя

✧✧✧

Haemi heard shuffling in the guest room beside them. He sat on his bed, rubbing his eyes as he tried to make sure that it was not his mind that was playing tricks on him. He looked beside him and Rea was still sleeping.

Who is it? No one stays in the guest room, he thought to himself. He wore the robe he had hung on his chair to keep the cold away. He yawned as he walked out to the room and into the guest room. A figure of a man was lurking in the dark.

"Father?" Haemi called out. He walked closer as his blurry eyes tried to shape the person in front of him. "You're home late, what happened?"

No answer came. So, Haemi walked closer and reached out to the other person's robe, only to have his arm twisted. Haemi let out a grunt of pain but his voice was swiftly silenced with a hand over his mouth.

"I came for my possession that you stole." A chilling smile and the ocean eyes stared straight into him as if making a hole into his head. Haemi tried to struggle out of his hold but the latter was stronger than him. The hand on his mouth slid to his neck, tightening, reducing the oxygen that flowed to his head.

"Are you trying to kill me? I'm going to shout right now and let the whole world know of your deeds, Taurent," Haemi spitted at him in disgust.

"How rude. I'm not actually trying to kill you; I'm showing you I can," Taurent tightened his grip and with his strength, Haemi hovered in the air. With the force pulling him down and the power blocking his airway, Haemi gasped for air.

"And if I was you, I would be careful about what I said if I want to keep my family safe," Taurent dropped him down to the ground. Realizing what the adult had said, Haemi rushed to the room where his mother and Leah were sleeping in.

On the bed, the two figures were staying still. Haemi went closer to the bed with light footsteps. He observed the heaving movement of the two. Leah was curling in Anne's arms, mumbling some foods she ate that day. They were still there, breathing and alive.

Haemi marched back to the guest room only to see Taurent was in front of his room, looking inside quietly. His smile was soft on his face, but he wouldn't be deceived the second time. Haemi rushed to the door and pushed Taurent away.

"Don't you dare set your foot on our land."

"Oh, but your father set his foot in my territory." The grin on Taurent's face sent chills down Haemi's spine, but he shouldn't back down easily, especially at this time.

"Where is my father?"

"He's sleeping in my manor," Taurent shrugged, "Doesn't seem like he will be awake anytime soon." Twisted giggles escaped his lips and distorted face of amusement was shown clearly on Taurent's face as a response to the expression on Haemi's.

It felt as if something snapped in him, Haemi launched himself to the adult, holding his robe tightly with his fists. The veins on his temple popped out and it impressed Taurent further. The different emotions of anger, frustrations, and confusion were swirling in the child's eyes

"What did you do to him?" Haemi asked between gritted teeth. Taurent effortlessly brushed the other's hands off him.

"Like father like son, he said the same thing as yours when he saw my beautiful lovely wife. I have no other choice but to silence him in the most efficient way. I believe you are a smart boy, Haemi. I'm sure you know what to do."

As a boy, getting told of the death of his father as if it was nothing, he couldn't help but feel the tears welling in his eyes. He slammed his door in anger and rushed to the bed.

The loud sound woke Rea up. Rea saw Haemi was becoming a ball in the blanket and so he asked if something was wrong, but no replies were given. Thus, Rea just went back to sleep.

With a door slamming in front of his face, Taurent didn't budge or flinch. He was not shocked as well; he had expected the reaction. Taurent loved it when everything he had planned actually went his way. He walked back to the guest room to prepare for the night.

"I will bring you back home."

✧✧✧

The sounds of chirping birds accompanied with sniffles made Rea squirm in his sleep. He opened his eyes to the view of Haemi with swollen eyes curled up beside him. Worried, Rea rushed out of the room to inform Anne, but he crashed to another person.

His small body fell to the hard floor. He looked up to a pair of deep blue eyes similar to that of an ocean, calm yet dangerous. The blonde held out his hand, attempting to help the young boy stand up on his feet. Instead of accepting the offer, Rea rose to his feet by himself.

The corner of Taurent's lips twitch with the blatant rejection Rea showed him. His insides were boiling but he knew pretty well he needed to thread his movement carefully. "I came to take you back," Taurent straightened up.

Rea was not surprised that Taurent came for him. Even with that, Rea wouldn't just follow obediently. He shook his head and went to walk away past the adult. Suddenly, a firm hand on his arm stopped him.

"Don't you miss me, Rea?"

I do. Rea wanted to tell him, but it would only make the man go even crazier. He could imagine the same gentle smile Taurent had always displayed for him. The smile that said, I will do everything for you.

"I don't want to go back."

"You need to, Rea. Look at you, you even learned how to talk back. Should I just cut your throat open and throw away that voice for good?"

Any normal person would find it scary to hear someone speak of a gruesome idea in a loving tone. This man was beyond twisted; it would take so much to straighten him. Rea wasn't even sure anymore on how to make him realize that the way the adult lived his life was unhealthy.

Rea took back his arm with all of his strength as he was aware of his own capabilities; a simple pull wouldn't make him escape the grip. "I am not your doll, master," Rea refused to exchange eye contact. Time seemed to stop. There was no comeback from Taurent and the atmosphere was eerily quiet and heavy. It made Rea's chest tighten with fear.

"Good morning," a sweet voice disturbed them, "Breakfast is ready. Rea, go wake Haemi up, and then you can have your time with Taurent. Both of you must have missed each other." Anne went to the kitchen with Leah holding on to the hem of her apron.

Rea made a step forward to tell Anne of Haemi's state, but he was reminded of the presence of another. It didn't take him long to realize it was Taurent's doing to cause Haemi to act in such a way. Rea turned back to where Haemi was.

"I see you have taken orders from another."

"This is different," Rea halted before he swiftly turned to face the master of the manor that he once lived in, "You wouldn't understand."

That was the last straw for Taurent. He marched forward and a sudden slap was planted on the boy's face. The instant pain made Rea put his hand on his reddened cheek. He took a step back and his lips trembled.

"You said to Haemi, you would never hurt me. Liar," Rea rushed to the room he shared with Haemi. Taurent was left alone in the hallway, pondering over his action. His head was throbbing, anger and disappointment filled him.

"You are not my Rea any longer."