Chapter Five

Jay’s POV

“Where are we going?”

I don’t know how many times I asked that question but in return, Nathan would always smile and put a finger to his lips. I was nervous on where he was taking me but he kept hold of my hand and led me down an ally. We went all the way to a dead end; it was pitch black so I couldn’t see anything. Nathan seemed to have no trouble at all because I was trying hard not to lose my footing while Nathan walked as if he knew this place like the back of his hand. A door suddenly opened. There was a security guard and they acknowledge each other with a nod. The guard gave me a look and I shivered under his stare. I moved in closer to Nathan, feeling safer around him.

“What is this place?” There’s music and I expected it to be another club. We went down a long hallway. The floor was white, the walls with covered with mirrors and the light was blinding. “Nathan.”

“It’s okay.” There’s an elevator in front of us. “You’re safe with me.”

So he presses the down button and the elevator doors open at once. We wait in silence as the elevator went all the day down to the basement. I expected cheesy elevator music but instead it played a hypnotic sound. I was getting dizzy by just listening to it. Then Nathan pressed me against the wall. He looked straight into my eyes. “What is it?” My words came out as a slur.

“Look at me, ignore the music” He says. “as if it’s not there.”

I focus on him instead but I still felt disorientated. The music became deafening and I cringed. I was beginning to panic. “Nathan.”

“Look at me.” I listened and the feeling subsided.

“What was that?”

He ignores my question and the doors open. It is a club but the lights were dimmed and I couldn’t see anything past a five foot radius. We moved past people that looked like shadows and I was scared. Jay, seriously - a twenty year old man scared by the dark? But it was eyes that I saw around me. They shined from the dimmed lighting, the way an animal’s eyes shine in the dark. He takes me all the way to the back where there are booths and he leads me to the one that is draped with a curtain. I look to the stage where a woman with long black hair and a black dress swayed her arms while she sang a song that I never heard before. I’ve never been to this place before. I never even heard of this place. Tom who checks out all different kinds of clubs and bars never once mentioned something like this.

“What would you like to drink?” A man with hair that went down his waist asked.

“A beer would be great, thanks.” He nods and leaves to get my drink. I look to Nathan who had his eyes closed and slouched against the cushions. “Did you want anything?”

“No.” He says and drapes an arm around my waist. He leans in and he was just an inch close to my lips. I shiver but I guess that was a wrong move. He moved back into his previous position.

“I want to.” I say before I even realized that words came out of my mouth. He opens his eyes and looks at me. “I mean – uh uhm – nothing.”

“You want a kiss?”

“I mean I don’t want to sound desperate but-” I was stuttering again. “I’m shutting up now.”

“Are you scared?” I laughed at the question but he sounded so serious. I look at him and he was frowning. “Do you not want to be here?”

“That’s not what I was trying to say. I’m not.” He grimaces at my answer. What was I supposed to say?

“It was a mistake bringing you here.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” I look at him. He looks away and sucks in his teeth. “Nathan?”

“I made a mistake and I’m sorry for bringing you into this.” He’s still looking away as he said this. I was confused.

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about.”

“Would you like to go back to that blonde?” He asks me, and he actually looks like he meant it. There was no jealousy but more like sadness. “She is very pretty.” 

“No. I want to be here with you.” There was a change to my voice. He could see it in me - the desperation – the need – to be around him. He gives me a small smile. But there it was and I would’ve missed it if I wasn’t looking at him - the slouch in his shoulder, the droop in his eye. The sadness.

“Do you not want me here?”

He leans in and he presses me against the cushions. He kisses me. It’s slow and soft. “Let’s take you home.”

So we head to my place. We walk in silence the whole way and once we made it to my front steps, I look at him. “You’re not going to disappear on me, are you?”

“No.” He says as I open my door and let him inside. I scan the whole area, hoping it did not look like a mess. I head to my room just to throw my coat on the bed and my keys on my drawer. I turn around and he’s standing behind me.

He walks over to my bed and sits down. I begin to get nervous, the feeling on my lips still tingly from our kiss. I sit down next to him. He takes my hand and draws invincible circles on the palm of my hand. He holds out his hand. “Hi, my name is Nathan Sykes.”

I raise my brow in amusement. I take his hand and we shake. “Hi, my name is Jay McGuiness.”

He leans in and kisses the spot where my ‘vampire’ bites are. I still had a laugh from that.

Nathan’s POV

I was fucking terrified. I couldn’t do this to him. I lean in to the punctures on his neck and kiss them. He shivers when I lick the spot. “I want to tell you something,” I say. “But I know that I might regret this. You’re so innocent.”

“Innocent?” He laughs, showing off his dorky smile. “I’m innocent?”

“It is not something I would normally do. I would never bring this upon anybody unless-”

“Unless, what?” He was getting nervous. I flinch. I picture a child and that’s what Jay is. No matter if he is twenty, he was a child to me. I have feelings for this man-child. Which definitely made me sound like a fucking pedophile but it’s meant as a metaphor. 

“- unless I am most completely infatuated with them.”

Everybody at the club was staring at him. There could see it and they wouldn’t dare confront me.

Jay’s breathing stops short. I push him down on the bed and I straddle him. “I would never hurt you.” I promise. “Are you scared?”

“Of what?” His heart is racing so fast, it’s surprising he hasn’t passed out.

“Of me?” I kiss him. He puts his hands on each side of my neck and pulls me in closer. I stop because I hear a scream in the distance, give or take a mile away.

“What is it?” I push myself off of him and I was ready to leave. “Nathan.”

I look at him. “I have to go.”

“No.” He stands up and holds my hand. “Don’t go.”

“Jay.” I hear the scream again. But Jay, he didn’t hear it because he’s human. A fragile being that I was terrified to break.

“I don’t want you to go.” I touch his cheek. He places his own hand against mine. “Stay with me.”

I press my forehead against his and I nod. I could’ve saved that girl but the screaming stops. There’s not a sound but footsteps of a man who succeeded on killing her. I look at Jay and he’s holding me. “I’ll stay.”