Chapter Thirteen

Jay’s POV

It was out of anger, I know it. I was a complete idiot for pushing Nathan away and I regret it, I do. But all I want to do is go on with whatever I have left. The weeks – or days – I have left. So I ask for more hours and Buddy schedules me every night and I don’t complain. The hunger subsides, miraculously, and I don’t have the sudden urge to suck somebody’s blood. So the next couple days, I work and sleep. I don’t eat obviously, so in my spare time I watch the news. I look up other news reports from previous days I had missed. I have not read or seen any sign of a blood stained note, or whatever Max said the other night.

 Tonight I worked behind the bar and I was fine until the douche from the other night started bothering me. What was his name? Well, whatever his name was, I tried to ignore him but he was being persistent.

“Who is that guy?” Max asked, shaking his head.

“I don’t even know.” I say, pouring a shot for a pretty red head girl. I smiled and watched her sashay her hips as she walked away. She looked over her shoulder, back at me and winked. I turned to face Max who was watching the same girl.

“He’s been coming around here a lot.”

“It’s getting a bit creepy.” Siva says coming up from behind us.  

What was the guy’s name anyways?

I work regularly and I haven’t missed a shift yet. It was awkward in the beginning when they realized I didn’t my job. Max and Siva seemed fine after a while but it was Tom who was pissing me off. I could tell he was watching my every move. Whenever I moved too close to him, he was suddenly very interested in something that was across the room. Yeah I get it; his long-time friend became the one thing that he hunted down and killed. I’m sure he’d love to stick a wooden stake through my heart right about now.

“What is his name?” Siva asked.

All three of us watched as the male with the red hair made his way to the girl I poured the cup to earlier. She giggled at something he whispered in her ear and she led him to the dance floor. I shrugged as I watched them grind up against each other. I shuddered and turned away, turning to the customer who was asking for another bottle of beer.

“They look like a red glob in the middle of the room.” said Max. I couldn’t help but laugh at his comment. It wasn’t that funny but it helped the tension between the three of us.

We left it at that for the rest of the night, moving past each other and they barely acknowledged my existence. I closed up the pub after the others cleaned up and left without saying goodbye. Tom gave me one last glare before he followed Max and Siva out the front door. I guess that was how it was supposed to be. I’ll drop dead at any time and they won’t have another bloodsucker to worry about. Great, we’ll just leave it at that then.

I locked the doors before I started walking down my street. I focused on my feet, letting my mind wander off. I stopped when I heard something down the street. I brushed it off, sighed and continued walking. If it was something there to kill me, then so it will be. I’m not sure if it was my vampire instincts but I felt a presence follow me. The person’s footsteps struggled to be quiet but even if I didn’t have super hearing, I would still hear it. I could tell it was a man from his heavy footsteps and I could practically smell the alcohol on him.

“Hey there, puppet.” I recognize his voice. It’s the red head that was grinding up the other red head earlier. I remember his name now. Spike.

After I broke up with Nathan, the next night I was working. That was the first night Spike started to harass me. It got to the point where he groped my ass every time I walked by. He backed off when I gave him a bloody lip and bruised both of his eyes but that didn’t stop him from coming back to the pub every night.

“Go home, Spike, it’s close to five in the morning.”

“Yeah, that’s a good idea but my home is a long way from here, you see.” I haven’t stopped walking but I probably should before he finds out where I live. So I turned around and watched him stumble up to me. His eyes are drooped and he makes a feeble attempt to stand in one place. “So I think it’d be best if I were to spend the night at your place.”

I scoffed and shook my head. “I’ll call you a cab.”

“But I don’t have money, I can’t afford a cab.”

“Here,” I patted my pocket. “I have money. I’ll pay the cab.”

“That’s very nice of you, Jay.” He smiled, giving me a whiff of his breath. I had to keep myself from gagging. He came closer and started wrapping his arms around my waist but I pushed him off. “C’mon.”

“You’re very drunk, Spike and even if you weren’t I still wouldn’t take you home.”

“You’re a tease.”

“Well, I’m sorry for leading you on. Those weren’t my intentions.” I turned and began walking off.

He grabs my wrist and pulls me back. “You didn’t mind flirting with that other guy. The blonde. What did you do, fuck him?”

I flinched as he tightened his grip on my wrist. “Let go, Spike.”

“Did you let him suck you off?”          

I struggled under his grip as I tried to break free. “Let go.”

“One night, Jay, that’s all I’m asking.” He pulled me in and he gripped on my hips tightly. He’s strong for a human but all I was doing was luring him in. It was growing in the pit of my stomach and I can’t help myself.

I force myself a smile and he loosens his grip. His drunken mind lets him think that I was enjoying this but all I wanted to do was bash his head in the pavement. “Alright.” I whisper, taking his arm and I lead him to my apartment.