Chapter Nine

Jay’s POV

I realize no one had asked about the scratch marks on my face, my neck and my arms. It wasn’t until I relaxed and laid down beside Nathan when he noticed that they were there. “What the hell happened to you?” He leans on his elbow and runs his fingers gently on the scratches.

“You haven’t noticed them before. They’re practically covering up my whole face.” I roll my eyes and push his hand away.

“I swear they weren’t there before.” He sits on his knees and examines the wounds. He grabs at my hands and looks at my two broken nails. “You did this?”

“I’m not sure.” I sit up and lean against the headboard.

“It’s worse than I thought.” He frowns and buries my face in my chest. I run my fingers through his hair and I match his frown. He told me everything. The transfer and my human bloods cells fighting off his vampire blood. He wasn’t sure how that was possible and he nearly left out the part that I was slowly dying until I forced it out of him.

“So when are you doing the transfer?” I look at him dead in the eye.

“I’m not risking it.” He looks away and his pupils turn red. Here I thought they were eye contacts. How oblivious could I possibly get? I touch my neck and feel the two bite marks. Somebody would understand that I didn’t believe it at first. That I’m slowly turning into a vampire – or being stuck in between the transformation. I had completely brushed off the fact that I was spewing my insides out every day and I was stupid enough to say that it was just a fever.

Now I know the truth. Nathan and Jane are vampires and I’m becoming one, maybe - if I don’t die.

It’s nearly five in the morning and Nathan and I are lying down in my bed while Jane was doing I don’t know what in the living room. I tried to get up, thinking I shouldn’t leave my house guest alone when Nathan suddenly stands up. Jane comes rushing in and but they’re not looking at each other. They are looking at my window as if they heard something I couldn’t. Yes, that’s probably it since they’re vampires and they have super hearing. “What is it?”

“Hush.” Jane puts a finger on her lips.

“We have to go.” Nathan looks at me. I begin to stand up. “No, me and Jane.”

“You’re leaving again.” I have to admit, I didn’t like it when Nathan is gone. Something in me stopped and it started back up again when he was around.

“I have to.”

“Can you at least tell me what’s going on?”

“I’ll be back before you know it.” He plants a slow kiss on my forehead. I close my eyes and when I open them, they are gone.

It’s the same reaction he had a couple days ago, like something was going on somewhere that I don’t know of. I wait alone in my room for an hour. I try to entertain myself with games on my phone but that quickly got boring. I thought about taking a shower but I didn’t want to move from my bed. My mind began to ask questions again that I couldn’t answer. I keep asking what the hell is going on to Nathan but something somewhere something is happening and he has to leave suddenly. It got quiet and the sound of silence began to buzz in my ears but that’s when I heard it.

A scream.

I wasn’t sure if it was coming from outside but it sounded so close, like it right outside my door. I wince when I hear it again, covering my ears with my hands. It was a terrified scream, the ones you hear in cheesy horror movies. But this one was real, this was no movie and it gave me chills.