Chapter Twenty Two

Nathan’s POV

Jay or Jason, I didn’t know what to call him, took me by the hand and led me outside. The sun was ready to come out and I could feel a warm tingling feeling on my skin. But it would a good twenty minutes before it would hurt and we would be forced to go inside. Anyways, Tom and his men left and bid their goodbyes to Raoul and Jay. Raoul left as well, following Tom and went out the front door. Jay and I went to the back alley and I stood there awkwardly not knowing what to say or do.

Jay lets go of my hand and walks to the center. He stretches and inhales deeply, groaning, almost like he just woke up. Was this Jason? Was Jay gone forever? “No, I’m still here.” Jay said, reading my mind. I forgot Jason could read minds. I’m so confused. Who was this person in front of me? “It’s me, Nathan. It’s me Jay. I’m not completely gone but it’s also Jason. We’re two people in one body in a way.”

“What is going on?” I said.

“It’s confusing, I know.” He started. He held out his hand but I stayed where I was. “But it’s my memories that have returned. I’ve never truly died. I am immortal. This Jay you know is still here. He is not gone. I take forms in every life. I never truly die and this is one of them.”

“I’m so sorry, Jason.”

“Call me Jay.” He says, hand still reaching out for mine. He smiles. “Those markings on your body appeared on your body when you killed me.”

I winced and looked down at the ground.

“It’s understandable, do not worry.” He doesn’t look angry. But it’s a look a father gives to his son when he does something bad. “My blood should’ve killed you. You were a test when I changed you. I was leaving that body. If another tried to kill me, he would’ve have failed. I am a hundred times stronger than anything in this world. I let you do it. You were a vessel.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You carried my blood, to explain it easier. I was born like this, Nathan, as you have heard in the legends.” He says, looking off into the distance. My body began to fidget. The sun was ready to come out. “I can only survive in the sun light; I cannot be killed by a steak through my heart. I can’t be killed at all.”

I nod. “Was that your plan the whole time? When you changed me?”

“Yes.” He says. “When my time has come to find another body, I find a carrier and that carrier finds my body that I take form in another life.”

“It took four centuries.”

“It was by luck it was Jay. Your soul mate as they would say.” He laughs. It’s quiet for a minute and when I look at him, I see Jay instead of Jason.

“Jay?”

“I never get used it to. My memories come in like a tsunami and it takes a couple days before they fully set in.” The markings on his skin become visible. “But it’s me, Nathan. It’s the Jay you met at the pub. Don’t think of me like I’m another person.”

He walks to me and I take his hand. I take a deep breath and I nod. “What does this mean?”

He smiles and sticks out his free hand. “Hello, my name is Jay McGuiness. You used to know me by Jason Gautrand.”

I laugh and shake his hand. “Hello, I’m Nathan Sykes. What now?”

“I’m still, like you know, Dracula.” He laughs. “The only born vampire, the ruler of the underworld and the big and bad vampire – I have a duty.”

“Dracula.” I laugh.

He places a hand on my cheek. I didn’t see young and vulnerable Jay. He seemed much older now.  “I love you.” He whispers. He looks up and quickly takes me inside. The sun was in view now. “It’s me who will take of you now.”

I grin and nod. “I love you.”

He smiles and kisses me.

Jay’s POV

I felt complete.

Jason’s memories – my memories – were coming in fast but I was starting to understand.

I am a descendant of Jason Gautrand and before that I was Michael Anderson and before that I was Andrew David. I had many names.

Jason lived to be three hundred before that night when Nathan killed him and his soul and blood went into Nathan’s body. Jason had been like me – human, I mean – before he changed. The same thing happened to him like what happened to me. We are part of Dracula’s blood line; this is how he continues to live.

I have many names and I took many forms but in this life I am Jay McGuiness.