Logan Storm | 22

Those girls were up to no good. I knew it. Maeson had something planned...I could tell by the sickly sweet smile that didn't reach her eyes. Jenette looked up at me, eyebrows furrowed and eyes searching for something. A thought hit me that she didn't realize she made faces like those. I'd seen it any time she was really thinking: math, art class, and when talking to me.

It made me wonder what went on in that creative mind of hers. Breathing in one last flowery scent from her, I warned her about the Pretty Squad and walked off, as I had felt Chelsea's gaze burn my neck nape.

"Its about time you greeted me," Chelsea remarked, arms crossed and eyes set, unamused. I scoffed. "You were the one who wouldn't talk to me."

Suddenly a voice boomed. Turning around, I saw Mr. Montez and the assistant principal, Mrs. Oakens at the DJ booth. He announced, "Hello, students of Rosemont high! Such a delight to see you all here. Tonight is a special night dedicated to a start of a fresh new school year. I hope you all enjoy yourselves and have a great time. Remember, leave room for Jesus! Snacks are unlimited, but if you eat too much we will have to kick you out. Thank you."

Music blasted out and the crowd came back to life, chattering excitedly and dancing to the pop. Chelsea grabbed my arm and lead me into the crowd, dancing with funk and a bright smile on her face. I did a sort of shuffle bop that I assumed was just the right amount of appropriate.

After a good while of pop dancing, the romantic came on. Chelsea gazed at me with her warm hazel eyes and put her arms around my neck. I grabbed her hips and held her close, though my mind was in another place.

We swayed to the rythmetic tune, but it didn't feel right. I looked at her content in my arms, and realized I didn't love her. I had never loved any of my girlfriends, but I just knew this wouldn't lead to anywhere but sex.

And I had another mission that occupied my mind and blocked out the lust. Chelsea was one of the most beautiful girls I had encountered, but she wasn't for me.

So I held her closer and let her feel warm and secure for the rest of the song, a sad melody that matched the rhythm of my heart. I wanted her to feel cherished, and I knew she really cared about me, which was not returned. She didn't deserve someone who only half cared.

I looked up and found a guy staring at us. He glanced away. Brent Colton- a star track athlete. I remembered he was her ex, broken up after she had cheated on him. His eyes still held a caring for her that I could never hold.

"I love you, Logan," she whispered, only slightly flirty and light, a otherwise nervous. I held in a sigh and kissed the top of her head.