5. Moonlight Beauty

< Theo

(Theo's P

(Theo's P.O.V)

I didn't know where to start searching. I was just simply gonna have to look into every room and hope that Ashton was in one of them. Of course he wasn't though.

It felt weird to intrude like this, checking rooms when I wasn't even supposed to be here in the first place. I kept checking room after room but he just wasn't in any of them. God knew how he managed to hide from me so efficiently. People would think that having known him for years would make me grow used to how his brain worked . . . but nope, he was as much a mystery to me as the Rossetts were to him.

The farther I got away from the entrance, the more I started having a bad feeling about this place. I wasn't biased or anything, but the way every single corner of this mansion screamed 'rich' at me made me think back to Ivory's words . . . how in heaven's name could they earn so much from a flower business? The walls were pure white with silver brush swipes crossing over it, creating a shimmer effect while exotic pieces of art hung over them and each step echoed on the polished marble floor.

I closed the door to another empty room. This was taking too long. I sighed in frustration and took out my phone. I had already texted Liam to be on a lookout for him too, knowing very well that no way would I be able to find him alone in this maze of a place. I opened my contacts, my finger hovering over Ashton's name as I debated if it was even worth it. He would probably not pick up, knowing very well that I'd just demand him to come back.

I opened the next door, and looked around the room, empty again. But before I could close the door again, my eyes landed on Anastasia's huge portrait that hung over the bed.

"Looking for someone?" A voice startled me, causing me to turn around faster than a bolt of lightning. It was Anastasia. Of course it was her. She had removed her mask and was standing right in front of me with that angelic smile of hers.

I looked at my hand that was still on the doorknob and realised how much of an embarrassing situation I was probably stuck in now. Great way to make a first impression, I mocked myself internally and pulled my hand back.

"Sorry, I . . . I got lost . . . " I trailed off, trying to search my brain for a better excuse.

"That's alright. You want me to walk you back to the main hall?" she asked in a soft voice. I noticed the edge of a certain accent in her voice that I couldn't quite pinpoint, but before I could ponder, she cleared her throat to pull me out of my thoughts.

"I . . . not really. I can probably find my way myself, " I tried to avoid. I wanted to stay and talk to her . . . god knew how much I wanted that . . . but it wouldn't be long till she found out that I didn't belong to the party. And because I wanted to crawl into her good books, trespassing her property didn't exactly seem like an ideal situation for a first decent conversation.