22. Confession

< Liam

(Liam's P

(Liam's P.O.V.)

"Alex is here," I heard Cameron say just as Alex appeared at the end of the corridor. Gino got up and ran to him, Cameron too following behind.

I had been wondering about his absence since I came into the hospital. Now that, an hour later, he had finally showed up, his distraught appearance forced me to avert my eyes from him. But obviously, when had my eyes ever been able to lay off of him, so just as soon as I had averted them, they were back on him again.

His hair, a complete utter mess, more than usual. It looked as if he had been pulling his hair time and time again. His left cheek was bruised and battered, worse than I had ever seen before. Multiple gashes were littered all over his shoulder, disappearing underneath his shoulder. A bandage covered his forearm, no doubt covering a worse wound.

His injuries sent an immediate wave of panic within me. I had to force myself to stay seated as I watched him hold Gino by his uninjured arm. Contrary to his smirk that I had grown so used too, so much so that I could never really picture him without it. His now scarred lips, stretched into a thin line, felt wrong.

I had been so lost in thought that I didn't even realise when his eyes rested on me. Even when I finally did register the fact that he was looking at me, I couldn't say anything. We hadn't talked ever since he had left that morning, not one single text. What would I say?

I'm sorry for your sister? But she was going to be okay.

I'm sorry for your father? But would saying it out loud make it worse or better? What if he was just trying to forget that for now?

Are you okay? Of course he wasn't okay, that would be as good as stepping on his wound.

I didn't need to say anything . . . Ivory came back to sit next to me, placing her hand on mine which made me automatically turn to her. When I looked back, he was no longer looking at me and had sat down as far from me as possible.

"You should talk to him," Ivory whispered, "he might need you."

"He doesn't need me right now, Ivory, he just fucking lost his father, his sister could or could not die. What he needs is to be with his family," I told her. As tempted as I was to follow Ivory's words, I couldn't possibly be selfish right now.

She opened her mouth to argue but the door of the operating theatre opened and the doctor stepped out. Even before he could ask, Alex, Cameron and Gino were already on their toes.

"Is she okay? Tell me she's okay." Alex instantly grabbed the doctor's collar, shooting him a threatening glare that dared him to say no.

Ashton too had woken up and was standing up in an instant, walking nearer to the doctor, me and Ivory following behind.