16. What's Real and What's not?

< Theo

(Theo's P

(Theo's P.O.V.)

"I'm home," Ashton called from the doorway. I could faintly make out the sound of his footsteps as he came to find me in the living room.

"Hey," I mumbled distractedly.

To say I was distracted was an understatement. My eyes kept switching to the date that displayed on my phone every five minutes. Ever since that incident in the alley, all I could focus on was the thought of Saturday approaching. And here it was . . . tomorrow, waiting for me to act on the biggest, dumbest decision I ever made.

"Where were you?" Reluctantly, I tore my eyes from my phone to look at him.

"At . . . Ivory's? I thought I told you before going," he answered with a thoughtful frown. He leaned on the edge of the sofa, not sitting down.

I stared at the empty spot beside me. I hated this, how we had become. It was like some invisible barrier had come to stand between us and there was a particular boundary we didn't know how to cross and reach out to each other. I wanted my brother back . . . before I threatened my own life tomorrow.

"So, your birthday huh? You excited?" I tried to pull my lips into a smile.

"Yeah . . . yeah shit." He stiffened as if some sort of realisation had just dawned on him. "It's my fucking birthday tomorrow." he shook his head and finally sat in the empty spot on the sofa.

"You don't look happy," I commented. It was unusual, Ashton and Liam were both birthday crazy people, the ones that always got over excited and couldn't shut up. They always felt like they deserved everything on that particular day.

"Huh? No, no I'm glad. It's just . . . a lot has been going on."

"Clearly." I nodded in agreement.

"When is Mom gonna be home?" he asked.

"I don't think she'll be back by tomorrow . . . she called and said that she would have to stay a little longer. She was asking about you," I told him.

"Hmm." He nodded.

A thick wall of silence fell between us.

Another wrong thing. With Ashton, there never used to be silence. Now, it was all there seemed to be . . . silence. Empty, cold, lonely silence. It felt like someone had cut a thread that was supposed to keep us tied together.

My mind went back to Anastasia once again. The image of her gruesomely sinking her nails in the man's wound. So much had changed, I had no idea what was real and what wasn't anymore.

Sometimes I wondered if this was all a dream. I wondered if, maybe, I would wake up and laugh about this. I would tell Ashton and Liam and Ivory about my crazy dream, then we would all just laugh it off and do something stupid as usual.