8.

I was late. The meeting ran late. My period was late.

No, I wasn't pregnant, but that would've been a great excuse to feed Mona. Instead, I had to tell her and Raven that I was late because of work. The boos I received were very much expected.

Raven handed me a cherry whiskey, "At least you look hot."

I took it, along with a seat in the VIP section of one of the Kennedy clubs. It was a smaller joint, filled with friends and other people Jorge and Raven have socialized with in the past. A lot of blast from High School past, it was like walking through a drunk reunion.

"Thanks," I smiled, more than happy I remembered the short, silver, t-shirt dress with a plunging v-neck Raven sent in the mail.

Both Raven and Mona were wearing something similar, Mona's was gold and Raven's was white though. I took a sip of my drink, "Where're the boys?" I asked, mostly wondering if Mona had seen Nix and how she was feeling about it.

"Upper level with the strippers," Raven said, making Mona roll her eyes.

I nodded, amused by how unbothered Raven, the one with a fiancé, was and how bothered Mona, the one with a crush, was. "Wanna check it out?"

"Hell yeah, maybe I can learn some new moves for the wedding night," Raven said with a wink, her smile wide as she bounced in the booth.

I tossed back the rest of my drink, setting down my glass and standing to lead the pack. I paired the dress with some knee high cloth boots, no heel. My feet needed a break! Raven, who's feet lost feeling years ago, was wearing six inch ankle boots, the same glimmering white as her dress. Mona had on a pair of red, Red Bottoms.

The top floor of Jade Night Club was an open space, large booths placed around a single stage like an arena. Various groups of people filled the space, but there was only one group that were being rowdy. They were in the center booth, spitting distance from the stage, Jorge's cousin, Pierre, was standing, swinging his hips as he watched Kitty Nightly do her thing on the pole.

I spotted Nix, next to Jorge, on one side of the booth, they're heads together as Nix said something in his ear. Mona, who was headed towards the group, suddenly turned on her heel heading towards the bar. Raven watched her go, concern on her face, but it was part one of her bachelorette party, so I told her to join her man. She squeezed my elbow before we split ways, I joined Mona at the bar.

"What's going on?"

"I'm not gonna tell him."

The bar tender approached us, I ordered a seltzer water, Mona got a vodka soda.

"Why not?"

She took in a breath so big it lifted her shoulders, when she released it, it came with a light laugh. "Have you ever been in love?" We both looked to the ring on my finger. "I mean, in love with someone who doesn't love you?" She corrected, her face showing a pain I've felt very recently.

But she didn't know that, remember? I chose my next words carefully, "Once upon a time." I nodded, she didn't need to know that that time was about two weeks ago, on Jorge's balcony, while I was drunk.

Drunk me didn't keep her emotions locked tight in a box. Drunk me wasn't afraid to admit she missed Austin and even loved him still. Drunk me wasn't too proud to cry about it.

"Then you understand the pain of seeing them and wanting to bear your soul but fearing they'll reject the mess out of you. Not that you can't handle rejection, but that their rejection will actually destroy the person you've known yourself to be?"

That was fucking deep.

I picked up my drink and took several gulps, not sure how to answer because I've never felt that before. Because before the incident, I never thought the love of my life would reject me. Butterball naked. Making pasta.