Chapter 6 - Confusion and Chaos

Seated in her hall, Maren looked at the cold, detached expression of Yura.

"Why do you want to return earlier?"

It was a matter of three days delay. Why would Yura want to rush back so much? So much so that he would rather send a team from Sunagakure to pick her up rather than going back with her?

"Maren-san, I am not obliged to share Sunagakure's confidential information with you."

"Is that so? Then go ahead." Maren said with such ferocity, she might as well have said f*** off.

Without a word, Yura left. From the Daimyo guards, she heard that half a day later, he had left the capital of Land of Wind.

'True, I only helped him with a presentation. It is not like ninjas can just share details of their missions. The privacy of the clientele is of importance but he didn't have to word it that way...'

Staring at the blank-eyed girl in front of her, Maren sighed.

"Ichika...you were so annoying. Taking action against me at every turn, whenever I took my eyes off you. But why does it bother me more when you stay silent as a doll?"

After Naozumi found out that Maren was being paid barely 50 silvers as allowance while Karen received 50 gold and Kazue received 70 gold every month, he had a whopping 7,500 gold pieces given to Maren as a compensation for all these years.

Clean clothes. Ample food. Subservient maid, Respect as a human being...

It should have been more than enough to live the peaceful life she was looking for. Given the low cost of living in Sunagakure, 7,500 gold was more than enough to provide for her and her family(if she makes one) for the next 40 years.

Despite nothing major happening, Maren felt bothered and annoyed. She couldn't even understand why she was feeling irritated.

'What the hell is wrong with me?

Money and peaceful life. This should have been more than enough for me...

Why am I so bothered?'

Packing for the posting in Sunagakure, Maren was busy making Ichika pack her items and reading about the lifestyle of Suna.

Unlike the capital of Land of Wind which was more of a swamp than a desert (due to close proximity to Country of Rain), Sunagakure was a pure desert with hard land, super hot afternoons and super cold nights.

Just when she was absentmindedly gazing at the report she made with Yura, realization struck her.

'Wait...could it be that Yura's early return be linked to the 'Kazekage rescue mission Arc' of Naruto Shippudden?'

Writing a quick letter to the Daimyo, Maren decided to leave with whatever was finished packing so far. If she needed something else, she could always ask someone to send it to her.

"Ichika! Send this letter to Otou-sama!"

12 bottles of elixir against sun-burns.

Robes of cotton.

All her research and favorite books that she had received permission to take with her.

All of her gold.

'To hell with preparation! Yura-san, hold on until I make it there!'

* * * * *

After two days of travel, the group was a week away from Sunagakure.

'No wonder representatives rarely go to Suna. The travel is a hardcore trek for anyone who isn't used to traveling.'

"Maren-sama, are you alright? Perhaps we really should wait for the support from Sunagakure to lead us" The guard said apologetically.

Though the permit from Suna was generated urgently and the route was shared, due to the destination being a hidden village, it wasn't easy for normal people to reach. Maren's body seemed alright with chakra so she was able to take pills to increase her resistance to heat. 

But Ichika had collapsed and some of the guards had heatstroke.

"No, I am pushing thing since it is urgent. Don't feel guilty and take rest. We shall set off after nightfall." Maren consoled him. 

It should be easier to move at night. It is easier to ward off cold by wearing more clothes and moving - but what can be done to reduce heat?

The guards went sleeping inside the carriage with Ichika, all decorum and rules forgotten. Sitting on the banks of an Oasis, Maren took a sip of fresh water and sighed in relief. Then walking around the oasis, she found a variety of plants and some undesirable insects. 

'How do the Naruto characters make moving to places for missions seem easy? With no cars, trains or airplanes, just getting to the next town sometimes took a day.'

The sun was high in the sky and Maren decided to go back and sleep after all. Then she could be awake when they travel at night.

But just then, a tremendous blast shook the ground!

BOOM!

'W-What was that?'

BOOM!

She barely gathered her senses when another blast occurred. This time, she could see the huge cloud of dust resulting from the blast.

"Maren-sama! Where are you?" The guards hollered. They had noticed the disturbance and come out of the carriage but having walked quite a bit, to Maren they were as small as specks as dust.

Waving her hand to the guards, hinting them to stay where they were, she began to run towards them when another blast shook the ground under her and made her fall to the ground.

BOOM!

"Someone help!"

The ground under her was developing cracks. Frozen in fear, she could barely try to run away from what looked like an earthquake.

"Chiyo-sama, there is someone above the cave!" A girly voice sounded from below her.

Was the ground so thin that people taking underground could be heard? 

BOOM!

"Waaaaaaaah!" 

The ground beneath her finally gave way and Maren found herself falling down at full speed - when suddenly she was propelled up by what felt like strings.

Strings?

Maren found herself dangling in mid-air. Lifted by what looked like blue strings of light.

Chakra strings!

"Now what do we have here?" The voice sounded boyish but cold and indifferent.

Against the boy, a really old woman who could very well be in her 80s and a teenager with bright pink hair were standing defensively. The pinkette was holding a kunai and wearing a dark pink ninja attire.

As for the owner of the boyish voice - it was a wooden body consisted of a pair of spinning claws attached to his lower back, a stinger in the empty and open stomach cavity, a compartment in his right chest and a core with the kanji for scorpion(sasori) painted on it. The eyes were wide open in a maniacal way.

Akasuna no...Sasori!