Chapter 7 - Battle royale

In the backdrop, Maren could see a huge water body. The land beyond was lush green - looking nothing like a desert.

Does the Sakura and Chiyo vs Sasori fight happen in the middle of nowhere?

"It is your bad luck in coming across this place."

'Y-Yeah...so let's pretend I was never here. I'll just stay in one corner so please don't mind my presence.'

Fighting against the rotten siblings was one thing, but to be caught like a rag doll in Sasori's chakra strings!

"Old hag, this little girl will be of interest to you. I've killed the Third Kazekage and the Fourth is going to die soon. Along with that, if I kill the Daimyo ambassador, what will happen to Suna? Perhaps that dusty village will finally fall."

Sakura handed Chiyo-sama what looked like a vial of yellow liquid with a needle in the end. The latter who had been trying to use this distraction to restore her weapon arm paused. Listening to Sasori's words, Maren and Chiyo paled.

"The Daimyo's ambassador?"

Though shocked, Maren had an inkling why Sasori would know of her identity. One : He is one of the intelligence handling arm of Akatsuki, it wouldn't be weird for him to keep an eye out for things that may relate to the mission - including the Daimyo of the land. Two : Yura is Sasori's sleeper agent.

The discussion mood was disrupted when Sasori saw Sakura try to land a sneak attack.

"It's useless to hide! Die!" Sasori said in a cold tone.

One of the four scrolls attached to his back disappeared in a glowing flame of chakra and his hands unleashed water-style jutsus. Barely giving the opposite side to react, the stinger attacked Sakura. The two claws on the side spun rapidly and were about to slice Chiyo-sama when Sakura held the wire attached to the stinger and pulled him back.

"You little! " Pulling him all the way back to her range, Sakura delivered a K.O punch on Sasori's torso.

BOOM!

'A-Ah...so those explosions weren't a blast, but Sakura's punches...'

It's true that compared to Naruto, Sasuke and a lot of other canon characters, Sakura was weaker...but for a chuunin, this was crazy strong!

Sasori's body fell apart completely and the living core fell out of its socket. But though it seemed like the end of the fight, Maren knew it wasn't over. In the anime, Sasori dies after being stabbed by the puppet of his parents and not from Sakura's punch and...

Despite the fact that his body had broken apart, the chakra strings hadn't disappeared and Maren was dragged down to the ground - a human shield between Sakura and Sasori!

Unleashing 10 puppets from her scroll, Chiyo-sama attacked. Taking another scroll stored on his back, Sasori poured his chakra into it.

"Granny Chiyo's secret number of fingers, I'd heard rumors of how you used them to bring down an entire castle all by yourself. However I used this to bring down a nation! " Sasori, looking highly amused, summoned what looked like a hundred puppets in retaliation.

"Secret red move : Performance of a hundred puppets!"

Individually, Chiyo-sama's ten puppets were stronger than Sasori's hundred puppets but owing to the huge numbers, Chiyo-sama and Sakura faced cuts and stabs. Chiyo-sama was even more injured since she used two of the puppets solely for Sakura's defence.

Making a three puppet formation, Chiyo-sama used another jutsu. "Three Treasures Suction Crush!" The suction pulled the Sasori's puppets with such force, they shattered.

Sakura punched her way through Sasori's other puppets. But whenever, she came too close, Maren found herself flung towards Sakura, and the latter pulled back. Being unable to get close to Sasori beyond a point, Sakura threw a weird orb like seal that enlarged and pinned his body to the wall...

Or that was what it seemed like. Sasori had moved his core to another puppet before he was pinned down. This new puppet was about to stab Sakura and Chiyo-sama had summoned the puppet of his parents.

The entire battle happened at a crazy speed and it was a miracle that she was able to follow it at all. Especially given how she was being tossed around.

But knowing what was going to happen from the anime, Maren shivered. Sasori was going to get killed. He would commit suicide - stabbed by the puppets of his parents.

The filler scenes of Sasori's past crossed her mind. The little child that made puppets and tried to make them hug him. The loneliness when he realized that the puppets could never give the warmth of his parents that he desired. He gave a prosthetic limb to his only friend...only for his poison to kill him.

The image of a blank-eyed child just wouldn't leave her.

Unlike Pain or Sasuke or Obito, why did Sasori never try to exact revenge?

"N-NO! STOP IT. GODDAMMIT!"

A burning feeling rose from her diaphragm and spread until her whole body felt like it was enveloped in a wave of heat.

"What?"

Before Sasori could realize what was happening, the blue chakra strings that held Maren captive turned a pale green color. The strings seemed to have reversed as it pulled him towards her.

"D-Don't do this...that's too sad..."

Hugging the wooden boy in front of her, Maren broke down into tears.