Chapter 10 - Where the priorities lie

'Nee Sasori, why did you not hunt down Hakate Sakumo? If he was dead, why did you spare Hatake Kakashi? You, who were broken by your parents death...why did you not seek revenge?"

When Chiyo meets Kakashi for the first time, she mistakes him for Sakumo and tries to kill him. But now, when Kakashi is the splitting image of Konoha's white fang, why did Sasori not once think of killing Kakashi to exact revenge?'

Seated in the Suna council that was discussing the issue on hand, Maren found herself drifting out of focus.

One: She was drained from the continuous use of chakra to control Sasori. When she never used her chakra, she was not even aware of its existence inside her but now, the longer she used it, the more it felt like something was draining her life essence. 

Two : She was super sleepy. She had just reached Sunagakure after days of travel and also got caught up in the fight between Sasori and Chiyo-sama & Sakura duo. The extremely hot but low humidity climate was a direct contrast to the capital that was cool due to its closer proximity to Amegakure than Sunagakure.

It also didn't help that the discussion was the usual pattern of blame the others and justify one's opinion. Temari was away doing a final check to see if all of the clay bombs Deidara planted in the walls had been diffused.

Kankuro still looked pale from the recovery process of the poison - something that Sasori was studying with interest. He was disappointed that someone actually managed to make an antidote to his poison, but he was also intrigued by Sakura's resourcefulness and Kankuro's determination to live.

"Psst...Sasori-kun, since you know the basics of Akatsuki's plan, can you help me with something?" Maren whispered to Sasori. She asked with a smile - as politely as she could - but Sasori could see the chakra being gathered at her fingertips.

"You are planning to send me anyway right? " Sasori answered coldly.

"Yes, it is essential for both of us."

Nodding silently, Sasori took Maren's instructions and left the room. The discussion was in full swing but Chiyo-sama noticed her little interaction. Maren raised both her hands with a wry smile as if to indicate that she had nothing bad planned.

.

.

.

"We only have 20 jonins who can move on short notice. If we send them to rescue Kazekage-sama, who will protect the village?"

"But if we lose the Shukaku, the strength of the village will be compromised! We need to try with the resources we have on hand!"

'Are you telling me that every other jonin is away on a mission? Sasori must have gotten information from Yura on the best time to attack. He might have even coerced Yura to make the council send the Jonins away on missions.'

It is true that against Akatsuki, it was reckless not to have a good defense for your village.

But then, if she was back in her world watching this scene in the anime, she would shrug it off. Even if the entire Suna force was there, they wouldn't be able to hold a candle against the Akatsuki.

Kankuro was turning pale as the minutes seemed to stretch into hours. While they were discussing the issue, his brother was getting killed! Naruto, who had been shaking in a corner, finally exploded.

"He sacrificed himself to protect the village! Are you just going to give him up?"

Ever wonder what it looks like when you completely flip a person's switch? Naruto was the very image of that. Jinchuriki or not, Naruto's glare had so much anger, it could definitely be linked to hatred. Maren couldn't help but wonder how - this expression wasn't like determination or anger? It was unlike a protagonist - more like an anti-hero.

The members of the pro Rescue-Kazekage side were happy at his outburst. While those against it, glared at the boy who was creating a ruckus.

"Naruto! Don't forget that we are guests here!" Kakashi whispered to Naruto.

Being able to sit in this council was only because of the peace treaty between Suna and Konoha. In these times, Suna desperately wanted support so couldn't say no to the presence of one of the strongest jonin of Konoha and the illustrious disciple of Tsunade, Sakura. Sakura had given the village a fighting chance when she found the antidote. Kakashi, Naruto and Team Guy was a strong force, they needed help from.

But his attempts were in vain since Naruto continued to glare at the council.

"He'll be dead by the time you make your choice! " Naruto's voice seemed more like a growl and it looked like he would go into tailed-beast mode due to rage.

Gripping the handkerchief in her hand, Maren stared quietly at the worsening situation. Just when hell was about to break lose, Sasori entered the room. Opening the door with such a bang, the sound silenced the room.

'Perfect timing! Is this the hype-power of Naruto's top-tier villains?'

"Dear members of the council, with the help of Yura-san, we have analysed the threat and determined that there are no Akatsuki members around. We can hire the services of Konoha-nin to help retrieve Kazekage-sama. I would request Temari and Sakura to help protect the village during the duration of the mission." Maren said with a finality that stunned the members of the council.

"And who gives you the right to make a suggestion?" One of the council members asked.

'Naturally the power vested in me by the Wind Daimyo.' Maren wanted to say but kept quiet.

Maren met Chiyo-sama gaze, hoping for heavens sake that the latter would support her. If not, she would need to pressurize them further by holding the funds she received for the village hostage. But then village would never work willingly with her. She would be nothing but a tyrant.

"I approve the Ambassador's suggestion." Chiyo said curtly. "But I will be accompanying Konoha's shinobi on the mission."

"Well, if Chiyo-sama is with them, then we don't have to worry about being tricked. Besides, don't we have their medical ninja stay with us?"

Slowly all the members agreed and the Kazekage rescue mission was officially approved.

Sitting in a waiting room, Maren drank a glass of water and fanned herself to calm down. But her nerves still seemed taunt. "...truth be told, I want to only concern myself with the administration of Sunagakure. Why must the first thing I experience after coming here be chaos?"

Swish!

Suddenly, Sasori summoned steel strings enforced with chakra and launched it towards the shadow in the room. The glint of a kunai was visible as the man used it to stop the strings.

"Kakashi-san?"

Though not too different from his aloof look, Hatake Kakashi walked out of the shadows and stood in front of her. The amiable feel she used to get from the anime was nowhere to be seen. The prickly feeling and the sense of dread creeping up her spine made her remember that Kakashi was a former ANBU, a member of the Konoha assassination unit.

"The Ambassador from the Wind Daimyo, Maren-san. Do you intent to use Sakura as a hostage to ensure our co-operation?"

Smiling wryly, Maren rubbed the back of her neck to try and calm down. From the anime, she knew that she could definitely trust Kakashi, Naruto and Team Guy to bring back Gaara but...

"No, I will not harm a single hair on Sakura-san's head. She is not a hostage, I had to word it that way to make the council feel more secure." Maren said as calmly as she could, but her voice wavered a bit. "I trust Konoha, but this isn't the time to waste time on politics. I entrust the safety of my village's Kazekage-sama to you."

It was only after Kakashi left that she managed to calm down.

"So even you get scared?" Sasori asked.

Starting from Yura, Maren had met major canon characters like Naruto, Sakura, Kakashi, Sasori, Chiyo-sama, Temari, Kankuro etc in quick succession.

It would be weird if it didn't trouble her at all.

The fact that she was stuck in a world where violence was the norm and on the verge of the next Great Shinobi War was unnerving.

"I have always been afraid. It's just that, showing it on the outside never does anything to help."