Chapter 1 - Collecting the dues of the dead

Dying of Diabetes was definitely not a good end. But Suzuki Maren had no regrets.

In a society of high standards, she could proudly say that she happily lived an absurdly normal life. Ignoring relatives who had successful children. Ignoring the successful and popular students in school. Ignoring the elite co-workers who rose quickly in the career.

It wasn't for her after all.

But what she didn't expect was that all of her troubles would start - after her death!

Ever wondered what the seaweed would feel like if it was simply left to rot in a mess?

Slimy, slippery and black.

That is exactly what Maren felt when she first gained consciousness in a slimy water body. Including an intake of muddy water with very breath she took.

Swimming upwards towards the sole source of light, it was a miracle that her vision finally showed a rocky road and her nose could recognize the stink of the swamp she had struggled in.

"Where the hell am I?"

Every step brought a wave of memory that didn't belong to her. Walking towards the highly secured building that seemed to put the fanciest shrines to shame, Maren wiped the liquid off her face.

Her very sight alarmed the guards and they blocked her path.

"Who are you? Leave or be judged for trespassing!"

Maren was shivering and the last thing she wanted to do was argue, but the guards made no move to open the door even after seeing her face.

'So the Daimyo's daughter is no longer worthy of even facing the guards of her manor?'

As if drawn by the commotion, a duo of well-dressed siblings walked towards the gate, accompanied by a subservient girl Maren quickly recognized as her own maidservant.

"Maren dear, don't blame the guards. They could have never guessed that the Honorable Daimyo's daughter would show up in such an un-presentable manner." Kurosawa Karen sneered.

"Sister, you are mistaken. She is just a bastard child. No noble line. No manners." Kurosawa Kazue pointed out as he shielded his sister from Maren's sight. As if just looking at Maren could pollute his precious sister.

The maid stayed quietly in the back of the twins, not helping in the least.

In the end, Maren was able to enter only after Lady Kouyou and the Daimyo Kurosawa Naozumi scolded her severely for walking out of the manor without permission and presenting such a deplorable state and manner.

A week was more than enough for Maren to realize the basics and the power balance in the household. The very fact about being able to trade places with someone else is incredible...

'But if the Lord of the Land is titled Daimyo and one of the countries was called 'Land of Wind', then isn't this the same world that the Naruto series took place in!'

She had possessed the body of a girl who shared the same name - Maren.

The third generation of the Kurosawa Clan had three children - Karen and Kazue born of the official wife, Lady Kouyou and...Maren, born of the late concubine Suzume of unknown origins. As a child who had a bad background and no support, the original Kurosawa Maren was bullied and later killed using her own maid!

* * * * *

As if nothing had happened,  the Kurosawa Clan had a peaceful breakfast - the only change being that Maren joined them at the table too.

Granny Meiren, openly scoffed at the sight of Maren. To her, illegitimate children were raised to support the legitimate children...and slaves had no right to be seated with their masters!

However Naozumi ignored the hints she gave and allowed Maren to sit with them. Unable to stomach the sight of her sitting with them, Karen began to taunt her.

"Maren, why would you not have fish?" Karen asked sweetly.

"Indeed. Look how skinny you are." Kazue added.

Karen and Kazue kept pushing non-vegetarian dishes towards her - as if they were unaware that Maren didn't want to eat them.

They were the cause of the original Maren's trauma with non-vegetarian meals. Memories of being fed spoilt meat and fish haunted her, to the point that the very taste of them made her throw up.

"Sister, I am praying for rains. Thus, I cannot have meat and fish. Requesting you to understand." Sipping the miso soup, Maren continued to eat calmly.

In a desert country, water was the greatest asset and one that they lacked terribly. Thus using 'praying for rains' and in turn prosperity of the Land was Maren's way of creating a favorable impression on the Daimyo and avoid eating those horrible things.

"You are just as determined as your mother. Admirable." The Daimyo spoke softly. There was even a slight trace of affection.

"It is good to see that you have started to have food with us. If the servants bully you, let us know. You are a member of the Kurosawa."

Was it due to seeing her face properly after a long time? The Daimyo seemed to remember his dead concubine wife and the fact that Maren was his child too.

"Thank you father, but there is no need to worry." Maren replied politely , no hints of her scorn evident on her face. "Sister Karen found out about the group of servants bullying me using her name. She said she'll take of it. Isn't she so sweet!"

Curling her hands into fists, Karen was trying desperately to control her anger. When she spoke, her voice was sweet as honey. 

"Of course. I couldn't forgive someone who bullied my sister using my name!"

Karen's voice may have been smooth, but the Daimyo had years of experience in dirty politics - so how could he not understand the hostility between his children? 

 Maren couldn't help but sigh. Hopefully, the original Maren gets to live a peaceful life in her stead. Being born in this dirty, complicated household should have already covered her lifetime's quota of misfortune.

* * * * *

"M-Miss...please help me!"

On the way back after her breakfast, Maren had purposefully taken a detour to meet the crying maid kneeling on sharp stones. Her knees were bleeding and yet, she was not allowed to get up. If not treated, one feared she would be unable to ever walk again.

The maid cried as she held the hem of Maren's dress. She no longer had the haughty look from the morning.

"A week ago, You push me into the lake and spread rumors that the Second Miss went to meet someone at the swamp and fell in. You also hid my subsequent fever from father. Today you purposefully played pranks on me. Why should I save you?"

Logically no one in Maren's position would save her. Not even the original kind-to-a-fault Maren.

"Miss, I know my wrongs! Please save me!" The girl wailed. "I've always been with Second Miss since childhood!"

"Indeed, you were with me since my birth. So why did you betray me?"

"...to survive! It was my misfortune to be assigned as your maid. First Miss wished to kill with borrowed hands. Since she had given me the task, I would have been killed if I refused! Would she let me live after I know her plans?"

Forced?

Maren didn't believe it for a second. But considering her fight against Lady Kouyou and her two children, it definitely would pay to have a...disposable pawn.

'Now, how far should I push things to gain her unconditional support?'