Chapter 11 - The strings of fate intertwined

(Dear Readers, in just a little over two weeks, WORLD ON A STRING has 200+ views and 50+ votes!

For a story that is not completely mainstream (Sasori does not have too many fanfics on Wattpad), this result is absolutely mind-blowing!

Thank you for all your support!

I will continue to do my best to update frequently and write a story that is worth wasting that teensy bit of wifi ;)

Maren was trying her best to have a dreamless sleep, but she was so distracted, the slightest sound woke her up. Leaving her feeling tired and irritated.

"Maren-chan, are you alright?" Sakura asked.

She had been sleeping next to Maren and likely realized that she didn't have a good rest.

"No, it's alright. It doesn't look like I am going to get any sleep after all." Maren sighed. It was already dawn and there would probably be things to sort out. Like accommodation, update on the Kazekage rescue mission, discussion about her role with the council etc.

After washing up, she found Sasori sitting on the floor, servicing his parts. To her surprise, Kankuro was sitting with him!

"Ah. So you are Maren? I am Kankuro."

"Y-Yeah...nice to meet you. I am Kurosawa Maren. Sasori's...partner " Maren introduced herself. She couldn't address herself as a puppeteer - not in front of the best puppeteer of the current and previous generation. 

Not with her absolute lack of knowledge in puppeteering.

Temari had returned late with her platoon and was expected to sleep until late noon. In the absence of Chiyo-sama, there had been no plans made so Maren was made to stay in a guest lodge close to the Kazekage Manor.

Having her breakfast, she sat watching as Sasori taught some tips to Kankuro. The latter seemed to be over the fact that Sasori had poisoned him with such a deadly poison! She wondered if Sasori or Chiyo-sama explained something to him. 

Or was he not able to recognize Sasori's identity in this form?

After all, Kankuro likely only fought Sasori hidden inside Hiroku puppet.

No one came to meet them so she simply sat lazing around. Listless. It didn't feel like she was in the heart of place where the village head had been kidnapped. In the company of ninjas who were trained in killing and espionage...

'Wait...there is something wrong!'

Maren might have been a fan of the anime, but she only went with the flow and never mapped the series, remembering only the summary and highlights of the series. 

But if she knew, she would have realized that it wasn't just gaining Sasori that was different from the anime timeline, even the internal timeline within the Arc was messed up!

All that confused her was - why did the discussion to save Kazekage happen after the Sakura and Chiyo vs Sasori battle? It also makes no sense if Naruto, Kakashi and Team Guy have brushed past Itachi, Kisame and Deidara before the council agreed to take Konoha's help!

"Kankuro-san, once you are done there, could you help me understand exactly what happened during the Kazekage kidnapping?"

Later, as she listened to Kankuro explain the series of event that led to this catastrophe, Maren wondered if what she was doing was sufficient.

'Sending Yura and Ichika with them...was that the right choice?'

* * * * *

Ichika had always hated her background. Born to the Daimyo's butler, she was raised to become a support to the Daimyo's children in the future. Servants of nobility are slaves - bound by slave papers that give their owners right to even take their lives, if they so desired.

She worked for Karen, in the hopes that the latter would give her freedom after the death of Maren. But thinking back, Ichika realized the flaw of the plan - why would the Daimyo release the servant who lead to his daughter's death?

Even if Maren wasn't favored, just for daring to kill the Daimyo's blood, she would be tortured and executed brutally. No way that, that Karen would step up to save her.

'Well, now I lost my chance and am stuck in a situation even worse than being a slave. '

"Would they have caught up?"

"I think so. Chiyo baa-sama, you should take some rest. You haven't let Sakura-san purify the poison yet." Yura tried to convince her to stop moving. 

If it wasn't for the puppeteering tag, Ichika would never be able to keep up with Yura, even though his current speed was less than half his usual since he was carrying Chiyo-sama. Now, her body used his chakra to maintain the speed, without her knowing how to use chakra. It just followed Yura's commands.

Participating in a mission that had nothing to do with her, against her wishes, Ichika remembered the council's discussion. The Jinchuriki definitely dies when the beast is extracted. From the Konoha-nin's report, the extraction is likely already completed...

'Why go so far for a dead person?'

Soon, they caught up with Team Guy. One of the boys in the team, Hyuga Neji had white eyes. Eyes that made nerves on his face pop when in use - creepy eyes that gave him screening abilities.

Guy : As expected, the radio is not working. Neji, what is happening to Kakashi and the others?

Neji : It appears they are still locked in battle with the Akatsuki. But it seems they have succeeded in retrieving Kazekage-sama. However...Naruto's situation doesn't seem stable...

'Ah...how nice it must be to be the Kazekage? Even if he is probably dead, people are willing to lay down their lives to save him. Even those from other villages...

Likely, Maren's death might make the Wind Daimyo wipe out those behind her assassination. They are both close to my age...why is it that they hold such status while I grovel on the ground?'

Chiyo-sama, went as far as to participate in the mission even in a poisoned state. 

With her death, the council members likely won't have anyone who could challenge Maren's power in Sunagakure.

'If Maren-sama is aware of this, did she purposefully allow the most influential member of the council and her contact to go for this mission?'

If Ichika had not invited Yura as per Lady Kouyou's plan, Maren would have not gotten the chance to rise to such power...no, if she didn't, Maren would have used her skills to rise to even greater heights back in the capital.

There would be fights and backstabbing. But if Maren survived, she might even overthrow the First Lady's power. And at that time...Ichika would have been the rank-one servant serving the second highest power in the Daimyo mansion - second only to the Daimyo himself.

Now on the outside, Ichika might be a perfect servant, but on the inside, she felt upset for not realizing Maren's true potential sooner.

If she had done so, Maren would have risen to power - and treated the maid who stood by her during hardships extremely well. She might even be awarded as a Dowry maid.

'Why was it that the previously good-as-dead Second Miss can turn into the one pulling my strings? Maren's face when she sneered at the First Lady's failed plan...is that the face of those born destined to win?'

I...don't want to bow down! 

This time...I want to gain status to stand on-par with her!'

* * * * * 

Reference:

Dowry Maid : The maid who follows the lady being married to the Husband's manor. She is either married to one of the highest servants in the manor or if she is suitable (beautiful, talented and pure) even married as a concubine to the Lady's Husband.

This practice was followed since the Lady's power would not be threatened by the new concubine(since she has the maid's slave papers).

The end result is that the maid is bestowed with a higher status.