Chapter 9 - Bound by motives

''Just what was I thinking?'

Why couldn't she just give Sasori back to Chiyo-sama? Surely from the shinobi war perspective, it was better for Kankuro to have him. Sasori wasn't just a puppet or an Akatsuki member - he had spies everywhere and served Akatsuki's intelligence requirements.

He was also the only member in the entire war to not carry out their sense of 'Justice.' Pain and Tobi had their reasons. So did Naruto, Sasuke...and every other canon character in the shinobi war. But Sasori never did good for good sake or evil for evil sake...he just didn't care.

Having Sasori would mean that she would be stepping into the Shinobi side of things - whether she wanted to or not.

Sitting inside the carriage, Maren absentmindedly played with Sasori's perfectly cute, mousy hair. Sakura was listening to Chiyo-sama, who was explaining her medical journal.

It had been five hours and there was still no sign of him waking up.

'Would he fight the moment he wakes up? Or would there be a side-effect of the stun that he wouldn't remember certain memories? '

In any case, it wasn't a good sign that he wasn't waking up.

Seeing Chiyo-sama's poker face and Sakura's nervous look did nothing to calm her down.

'Chiyo-sama said he would wake up eventually, but...I didn't kill him right?'

There was also the worry of the future. The fact was - even if Chiyo-sama had painstakingly removed every poisonous item on Sasori's body, this was still THE most lethal puppet in Shinobi history. Would they just hand him over to her? Someone who, despite her illustrious background, is a child who isn't even at the age to clear the genin exam?

Having nothing to do as the carriage lead them towards Sunagakure, Maren had ample time to ponder on the Shippudden timeline.

Deidara and Sasori use Yura as a sleeper agent to infiltrate Suna and kidnap Gaara. Kankuro fought Sasori and was poisoned. Sakura neutralized the poison and went with Chiyo-sama to fight Sasori. After Sasori is defeated, in his last words, he gives away the location where his spy (who had infiltrated Orochimaru's hideout) was going to meet him.

This hint leads to Naruto and Sakura finally tracking down Sasuke.

'Right now, Sasori is just dead unconscious. And thus, Sakura has not gained such a valuable information. '

But the focus right now should be rescuing Gaara. It should be fine as long as Team Seven is given that information later right?

"Maren-sama, here is your iced tea." Ichika presented a clear cup with sugar, jasmine flower, tea extract and ice. Ice, especially is a luxury since there are no refrigerators to protect them from melting. Only high officials carried blocks of ice.

"Thank you. Chiyo-sama, Sakura, would you both have some as well? It should provide some respite from the heat." Maren offered politely.

But suddenly, a boyish voice spoke up.

"This girl is under the forbidden puppeteer tag. Do you have an obsession for making people your puppet?"

The boy still lay unmoving but his greyish-brown eyes seemed to bore into her. Ignoring the proffered tea, Maren lifted him up in excitement. He was quite heavy weighing at least 22 pounds.

"Sasori-san! You're awake! Does your body and core feel alright?" Maren asked as she tried to feel his chakra through her chakra strings.

Sasori's chakra was like his personality itself. Cold and unwavering - even in this situation.

"Put the strings away, woman. I won't be able to break away even if you disable the strings. Are you trying to drown me with chakra?"

Sasori looked on in annoyance as Chiyo-sama taught Maren how to clear away the chakra strings. The greatest puppeteer of all times had become a puppet to an amateur who didn't even know how to use chakra strings properly.

It had to be the greatest insult to him.

But Chiyo-sama also brought things back to the original topic. "Why did you use the puppeteering tag to control her? Do you wish to become a puppeteer?"

"It's just that Yura-san and I came to the conclusion that Ichika cannot be trusted with the ability to make her own decisions."

Using someone as a puppet is inhuman. 

You take away their basic rights of freedom of expression and action. But considered how both Maren and Yura nearly lost all they held dear thanks to this maid's willingness to get her hands dirty just to rise higher, not killing her was already kindness.

However, Chiyo-sama and Sasori didn't miss the dark glint in Maren's eyes. She had some pretty strong opinions for which she was willing to cross the grey zone of what is acceptable to the society. 

* * * * *

"Welcome back, Maren-sama"

Landing down at Sunagakure, Maren was surprised to see YURA greeting her at the gates.

'He's alright!'

"Yura-san, good to see that you're doing well!" Maren smiled as she shook hands with him. Meeting her comrade from back in the Kurosawa Manor, she finally relaxed.

"Did you free him from your puppet tag?" Maren asked Sasori softly.

"No. I just haven't given him any orders. "

So when no orders are given, the puppet(sleeper agent) is as good as a normal human? It was leaps and bounds better than the one that was used on Ichika. The tag on Ichika reduced her to a mindless puppet. 

No idea if she was internally screaming in agony, anger and resentment, on the outside she was the epitome of a perfect servant.

"I see. "

Once inside the village, Maren was worried about convincing the public about Sasori. But luckily, no one recognized Sasori. They only saw him as a red-haired puppet that Chiyo-sama had likely given to the little girl for protection. 

Sasori had left the village more than 20 years ago and during his time in the Akatsuki, he hid inside the puppet Hiroku and used voice alteration to create a deeper, hoarser voice.

Chiyo-sama and Sakura, who knew his true identity kept quiet.

The Suna council was surprised to have a young child come as the Wind Daimyo's Ambassador. Using her status, she was recognized as an adviser to the Suna council. Naturally most people had their opposition to having Maren randomly join the council.

But they didn't have time to deal with it right now.

The more pressing matter was - The Kazekage had been kidnapped and the council was torn between choosing to rescue him and using resources to secure the village.

Maren bit her lip in frustration when she saw different sides preparing their supporters to fight those who were opposing their views.

Rescue the boy who sacrificed himself to save hundreds or accept his sacrifice and use the resources to protect the village.

"You really can't handle human idiocy well, can you? At least it is more bearable than having a hypocritical partner." Sasori said indifferently. 

But Maren wondered if she was imagining the sneer in his voice.