Chapter 12 - Destructive Ambitions

BOOM!

"W-What was that?" The girl in double-bun Tenten, asked in shock.

Neji : That...was Naruto.

Team Guy visibly paled. Chiyo-sama's face was unreadable.

Ichika clicked her tongue in annoyance.

'The world of shinobis sure is full of physical fights. Back then, when Maren ran into trouble, it was due to shinobis clashing. Well, considering this mission was to fight back those rogue-nin called Akatsuki, fights should be expected.'

But even Ichika didn't expect that the quick to rage, naive boy in orange jacket would be some sort of a monster. Team Guy seemed to be quite strong by ninja standards...and even they were shocked by Naruto's strength.

Neji : We are almost there.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five?

Was ninja arts some sort of a magic? She saw five Narutos!

But upon closer look, Ichika discovered one difference. 

One Naruto was collapsed on the ground with the ninja Kakashi tending to him. The other Narutos were sweating. Occasionally saying things like 'saved' and 'so hot'.

"Take me to that child." Chiyo-sama said. The boy she was looking at had a brown-ish red hair. 

With pale skin tinged grey and the wafting smell of a rotting corpse, it was clear beyond doubt that he was dead. And in high probability, this dead boy was the Kazekage this group came so far to save.

'Rubbish. Looks like the Kazekage isn't on the winning side.'

Thinking back to Maren, who purposefully took the medical ninja nearly as talented as Chiyo-sama hostage, Ichika was almost certain that that Maren had held no hope for saving him.

Which is why she sent only outside ninjas on commission. Chiyo-sama and Yura were probably just to  avoid offending the pro-rescue-Kazekage side.   

"It seems the mission has come to an end."

"Unfortunately, we didn't make it in time." Kakashi spoke up. His head bent low.

Naruto grit his teeth. The anger had dissolved into depression. His body was shivering from uncontrollable emotions.

'Do you feel nothing when you see this?' Yura asked Ichika. As her puppeteer, he could communicate telepathically with her.

'No. And in all probability, your beloved Maren-sama was aware that he is dead. Which is why she didn't send more forces.' Ichika retorted.

Watching Yura's face twist in anger felt satisfying.

'Justice. Love. Happiness...all this matters only as long as you are on the winning side. On the losing side, anyone is a pig for slaughter.'

Rustle. Rustle.

Guy : Good job, Neji.

Slightly far away from the reunion was a young man with blinding yellow hair in Akatsuki robes (black cloak with red clouds embroidered on them). The moment he had stepped out of the bushes, Team Guy rounded up on him.

"Oh? So this is the second most celebrated dojutsu of Konoha, Byakugan? You used it to track me down? It's the first time I've ever come across a Hyuuga."

'S-So handsome...' Ichika had never seen a ninja fight. So she never felt true fear.

All she saw was a really good looking man - with a cheeky smile and the confident aura of someone on the winning side.  Even with two ripped arms, he was easily dodged Team Guy's attacks.