Years

Part Six
They move slowly through the woods. Each step becomes more agonizing; Ash’s arms begin to droop with the weight of Typhlosion. They’ve only been following Rhyhorn and Talonflame for ten minutes; however, Ash prays the town is just around the next bush. He attempts to regain a balance of weight in his arms. Suddenly, he trips on an overgrown root and sends Typhlosion hurtling into a bush while he himself slams heavily onto the dirt. Shakily, he crawls to his friend. Typhlosion’s eyes tiredly gaze back. He coughs out a puff of smoke. The others rush back.

“Hey buddy, you did well.” Ash pets Typhlosion’s slightly damp fur. “We’ll get you warmed up as soon as we get to the next town.” 

“Typhlo.” He squawks as he tries to prop himself up. 

“No no, just rest.” Ash stops him from exerting himself.

Rhyhorn turns around and gestures to his rocky body.

“You wouldn’t mind carrying him?” Ash smiles gratefully at Rhyhorn when he whinnies in approval.

With Charizard’s help, Ash is able to situate Typhlosion as comfortably as possible on Rhyhorn’s back. 

They begin walking again.
---
Dusk falls just as a small town comes into view. Everyone is relieved but too exhausted to express it. Ash wonders how long since the river. He looks to his friend atop Rhyhorn and hopes that there will be a hot fire wherever they are heading.
Talonflame begins cawing and flies ahead into town. Ash peers at Charizard who has begun dragging his feet. As tough as Charizard is, the damage he took in the Rocket headquarters continues to take its toll. The scales on his left side are battered and unhinged, revealing flesh healing underneath. He winces each time his left leg bears weight. Charizard notices Ash’s gaze and pretends not to be bothered by his injuries. His pride wins out again. 
Ash is so lost in his thoughts that he doesn’t realize they’re approaching a small house on the edge of town. Talonflame’s screeches wake him back up. Someone is running out of the house with the bird. A woman. There’s something familiar about her. 

“Help. Please.” Ash murmurs and points at Typhlosion. He would speak more urgently if he himself didn’t need attention. 

“Oh my goodness, what’s happened to you?” The woman, he sees now, has brown hair and eyes and wears a dark outfit. Suddenly he sees a look of recognition cross her face. “Ash? Ash Ketchum?” She looks surprised. 

Of course she is surprised, he thinks. Whoever she is most likely thought he was dead for who knows how long. Who is she? He’s positive he’s seen her before.

He doesn’t answer, but lets her take his arm around her shoulder and support him into her house. 

The house is familiar too, but he does not take the time to observe it. There’s a fire burning in the fireplace. He’s laid on a couch nearby.

“Charizard, Raichu, can you bring Typhlosion in by the fire? Rhyhorn doesn’t fit through the door.” The woman commands; the two are more than happy to comply.

“Thank you.” Ash watches as they carry him in and set him comfortably next to the fire. The woman rushes to his side and begins checking the Pokemon’s vitals. When she realizes he’s damp, she runs to grab towels and blankets. Raichu helps her towel dry his fur while Charizard collapses with his tail set in the flames. Ash is overwhelmed with exhaustion and begins to daze out. 

Before his eyes fully close he mutters, “Please don’t tell anyone.”
 ---
As soon as Misty and her new Eevee left Brock’s breeder center, she could tell they would get along amazingly. It took about an hour to convince Eevee she would be able to see her mother soon again. However, once the pair was outside, Eevee was splashing in every single puddle along the path back to Cerulean. Misty could see immediately that Eevee loved life. She was carefree and courageous – just like Ash. She feels a tear roll down her cheek and wipes it away. Eevee senses her distress and starts prancing around her ankles to regain her attention. Misty giggles lightly through a runny nose and tearful eyes.