Chapter 4

I can now state for the record that driving a vehicle with a raging hard-on is unsafe and not recommended. All Melody has to do is give me that look, a sly, yet subtle smile followed by the biting of her bottom lip. But her real power lies in those amazing eyes that can hold you in a spell and seduce you, and yet still look so innocent.

Concentrating on the road was challenging, but I was able to make it home and to my shower without anyone asking the embarrassing question of “Is that a bayonet in your pocket or are you just happy to be a United States soldier?”

After a brisk shower I laid in my bed trying to remember the last time I felt like this. It was late at night when I tried to fall asleep, and early in the morning when I gave up and went for a run. I jogged by Melody’s apartment, on purpose, and saw her come out. She looked as tired as I felt but she was in uniform and on her way to work. I was going to run with incredible stealth up behind her and play the childish game of “Guess Who” with my hands over those beautiful eyes, but a young soldier got there first.

I wasn’t close enough to hear what was being said, but I was close enough to see Melody was not enjoying the conversation. I was determined to give them privacy, until I saw him take her by the arm. She tried to pull away but couldn’t. I bolted across the street.

“Is there a problem?” I asked in my thunderous First Sergeant voice.

“Get lost,” he told me.

This moron was in his ACU’s so I could see his name was Vardis and his rank was Specialist. He was about to have a very bad day.

“Trust me Vardis, you don’t want to say that to him,” Melody warned.

“I don’t give a shit who this guy is,” Vardis scoffed. “This is about you and me. We went out once, and I played the nice guy thinking that by the end of the night I would get lucky, but nothing. I think we should try again.”

Melody turned looking at me. “He wasn’t my type,” she explained.

“I can see why,” I said. I turned my full attention back to this unfortunate soldier. “Who is your First Sergeant?”

“None of your damn business!” he replied with all the malice of someone stuck between drunk and hung-over.

“I think introductions are in order,” Melody said. “This is Specialist, soon-to-be-private Vardis, a supply clerk under the authority of First Sergeant Tomas.” Turning to look at Vardis. “Vardis, this is First Sergeant Stewart,” she looked Vardis straight in the eye. “Need I say more?”

“First Sergeant Stewart?” Vardis said just a little louder than he wanted. “Oh shit!”

Vardis was standing at the position of parade-rest and I was about half an inch away from him. “You will immediately report to First Sergeant Tomas and tell him that I will be seeing him later today and your future is going to be the topic of our discussion.”

Vardis turned and took a few steps before breaking into a full sprint.