Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I was careful not to wake Jason when I slid from under his arms and out of bed. I was also grateful that the bed didn’t squeak, particularly after last night. I was standing naked in the middle of our dark room quietly rummaging through my bag hoping to feel another pair of satin panties. Jason seemed to like the satin ones on me, and if he woke up and saw me in them, I wouldn’t make the zero nine hundred hour call time.

I managed to get completely dressed without waking Jason, but he did stir once pulling the thin bed sheet aside exposing a semi erection. I desperately wanted him to wake up with my mouth around his penis, but decided to leave him to whatever erotic dream he was having. I just hoped it was about me.

When Sky and I got into Denise’s car there was a feeling in the air, a mood…it was for pancakes. We didn’t want to make them, we wanted them made while we sat at a table drinking coffee and juice and talking about the “icky boys” at Sky’s school.

Across the street was a dress store called Sara Ann’s Boutique and it stood a mere one hundred feet across the street from where we were enjoying our syrup-drenched pancakes. Between bites of this decadent breakfast and sips of eye-opening coffee I noticed three formal dresses draped over mannequins in the large front window, but only one called out to me.

“See anything you like?” Denise asked, bringing me out of a daydream of couples dancing in circles with Jason and me in the center. “I think that blue one would be gorgeous on you.”

“I think you would look pretty in that dress, too,” Sky added.

“Do you think it’s right for the Ball?” I asked. I was at a complete loss about stuff like this. I’ve helped plan events like this at my job, but that was the extent of my involvement. I’ll order a flowing wine fountain, but it’s not my place to drink from it.

“I think it’s just right,” Denise said with encouragement.

I’ve shopped for a dress before, a prom dress. I was out of my element even then. I went to four stores with my mother looking for that one dress that was just right, but we never bought it. The price had nothing to do with it; my mother would’ve paid anything to get me the dress I wanted, so I could have that prom experience—that rite of passage all teenagers must take to adulthood.

I never bought the dress. I never went to prom. The guy who asked me backed out like I thought he would, which is why I never bought the dress of my dreams. He’d heard, and rightly so, that I wouldn’t put out. He ended up going with Chandra Barner, who would put out before, during, and after the prom. It was rumored that she went down on eighty percent of the football team and forty percent of the cheerleaders.

Ah memories.

The neon sign blazed blue in the early morning, telling us that Sara Ann’s Boutique was open. We quickly inhaled the remainder of our meal and made our way to the store. The floor-length dress was navy blue chiffon. At the top was an overlay of lace that extended down to the waist with sequins embellished inside. It looked as if snowflakes had just fallen on it, shimmering like diamonds. The dress would match perfectly with Jason’s dress blues. The best thing was it fit. The very best thing was that it and the hair piece that came with it were on sale!