Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The line to the casher was lengthy, so I decided to pass the time by calling Jason.

“Hi, babe,” he answered.

“Hi, I need your mother’s phone number,” I told him.

“Why? What did I do? Why are you telling on me to my mother?” he questioned.

Wow, the things I could tell his mother. “You can relax Top, your secrets…are safe. I just need your mother’s help with something for Sky, something she’ll love.”

“What might that be?” Jason asked. “Are you going to spoil her rotten?”

“Of course,” I replied. “But this is just about flowers. When I took dance classes my dad would always bring me flowers after a recital. It was the best gift in the world.”

“Where are you?” Jason asked after giving me the number.

“I am standing in a line at the Commissary buying wrapping paper for Sky’s presents,” I said. There was silence on the phone for a while then I heard Jason talking, but it wasn’t to me.

“Who are you talking to?” I heard someone ask.

“My girlfriend,” Jason answered. It still sounded nice to hear that.

“Are you taking her to the Military Christmas Ball?” the mysterious voice asked.

“Please say no. Please say no,” I thought.

He didn’t say no. He didn’t say yes either. The mystery voice took his phone. “Hello. This is Cathy, General Miller’s wife.

Holy shit!

“Yes ma’am. What can I do for you?” I asked while maintaining my composure.

“To begin with you can call me Cathy,” she said. “It’s my husband who goes in for the formal titles. You can do something for me. I wish you would be Jason’s plus one at the Military Ball. I won’t take no for an answer.”

Holy shit!

“I…ah…I don’t have a dress,” I stammered.

“We need to get her a dress,” Cathy said to Jason. “What’s her name?”

I heard mumbling before she started talking to me again. “Melody, I’m going to give you the name of a dress shop. Just mention my name and they will take care of you. I am looking forward to meeting you. I’ll see you there.” This is a woman who doesn’t take no for an answer because she doesn’t give you a chance to say, “No,” “Maybe,” or “Hi, how the hell are you?”