Chapter 17

Chapter 17

When we entered the room, the tables were already set with amazing place settings and decorations. There were already a lot of soldiers and females in beautiful dresses there.

“This is so beautiful…” I said and Jason took me by the hand leading me to the table we were going to sit at. He moved the chair back so I could sit. This was going to be an interesting night.

“I really hate this guy,” he muttered to himself, adjusting his chair.

“Who?” I asked. He pointed toward a soldier I knew very well. Brian. Brian was looking right at me. I knew that look, he wanted to come and talk to me. After all this time he wanted me, but as I put it to him, I’m damaged goods.

“Did you see the way he’s been checking you out this whole time?” Jason said.

“I didn’t until you said something.”

He reached over and kissed me. When I looked away from the kiss I saw CPT Crew and Becky coming over and to sit at our same table. Then Jason’s Company Commander and his spouse came over to sit at the table, followed by another couple. I knew he was a Major. Then another First Sergeant and his date came and sat down. I knew First Sergeant Johnson; I’ve seen him at meetings but never really talked to him.

“Hello, Sergeant Finnegan you look really pretty tonight,” Johnson commented.

“Thank you, First Sergeant Johnson,” I said.

“She’s not in your unit?” Johnson’s date asked.

“No she’s in First Sergeant Tomas’s unit,” Johnson said.

“Trust me Michele, you would want her in your unit,” Mrs. Crew said. “All those quilts we had done. She did them.”

“Really,” Johnson’s date said.

“I’m keeping her as long as I can,” Mrs. Crew said. I felt like a puppy after that talk. I found out during the night that Johnson’s date was his wife.

The General officially started the program with his traditional toast of “Peace on Earth,” and we all started to eat. After a course of chicken and steamed vegetables, I excused myself and went to the ladies room, followed closely by Michele, First Sergeant Johnson’s wife. “Wait for me. I thought Desiree was coming,” Michele said.

“No, not this time,” I washed my hands and began to check myself in the mirror to make sure everything was staying where it was supposed to be.

Faith came out of one of the stalls. “Melody, who are you here with?”