Sick

"Cas?" I called out as I entered the room. A small whimper came from the bed. He looked half dazed. "How are you?" I asked as I set down the tray. I checked his temperature. "Ah, that's better."

"You shouldn't be here." He whispered.

"Ssh, stop fussing. And anyway, I can't hear you." I mocked because his voice was feeble and he smiled weakly. "I've brought you dinner."

I sat down next to him after pulling up a chair from his study table. He tried to get up and I helped him. I kept a pillow to support his back and neck. "Thank you." He whimpered.

"Now, stay quiet and eat."

I demanded as I handed him the soup. I asked him whether he needed my help but he refused.

"That's good." He said as he drank it.

"Hot enough?"

"It's perfect."

"Your voice is getting better." He nodded. "You need it to keep your end of the deal." I reminded him. "Evelyn told me that she has prepared an herb medicine for you and that she would bring it up once you finished eating your dinner."

"Have you eaten?"

"I had dinner, thank you." I said and looked around. "Why do you have a bird in your room?" I asked and pointed to her.

 "Why do you have a bird in your room?" I asked and pointed to her

"In case I need to send messages."

"Right." I nodded. "I'm so sorry, Caspian. You're sick because of me. With everything that you have to go through, I can't believe that I added this burden on you."

"It was my idea, not yours-"

"Ssh, just drink."

"Thank you." He said after he finished.

I took the bowl from him and set it on the ground. I looked around properly. "You have a nice room. Very great architecture."

He chuckled. "Thank you."

There was a knock at the door and I got up to open it. Nina entered with the medicine in a bowl. She held it with two towels and I knew that it was really hot. I set up a chair for her to set the bowl on.

"Now, you have to drink this." She told Caspian and handed him another bowl. She started to pour the concoction into the bowl he held for easier consumption.

"Why is everyone making this a big issue?" He asked and I saw a change in Nina's face. Bad move, Caspian.

"You listen to me, Your Majesty." She pointed her finger at him, her other hand on her hip. "You may think that this is not a big deal but it is. You need to take care of yourself but unfortunately, everyone else is doing it for you."

Her voice started to crack. "Nina." I touched her arm.

"I'm fine." She straightened herself. Nina told me one day that she thought of Caspian as her son. She was his guardian in a way and I could see why that was so. She really loved him.