The Ball

The day of the ball was a tiring one. Everyone was busy with the last final touches to be prepared for the welcoming of the people from other kingdoms. The castle was decorated with flowers all day long. It was replaced with a fresh batch in the evening. The fragrance hit you no matter where you went.

The kitchen was busy with making loads and loads of food, which I was told to be excluded from. "You can help with the checklist, Sophie." Evelyn said, handing me a parchment and pencil. 

"Thank you." I cheered up and strolled to the main castle doors immediately. 

I made sure that everything that came into the castle was checked off the list. The Narnian troupe was who I was most excited about. When their carriage arrived, I couldn't help but jump up and down. They brought their instruments, fascinating me more than I thought that they would and I helped them set it up in the main hall where they were needed.

The shipment from the bakers? Check. The extra dresses and suits from Claire? Check. The stone statues of the Old Kings and Queens and Aslan? Check. Candles for the chandeliers? Check. 

I also gave directions to the people who needed it. "Where is the ballroom, miss?" The people from town who were going to polish the floors asked me.

"Go straight into the castle. Turn right and then left. You'll find an archway there. It's beyond that." I said and they tipped their hat at me.

Once evening fell, the ships started coming and so did the carriages. People started assembling in the ballroom. Some moved around in the courtyard and some looked around. It was time to get ready after that. 

I got dressed into the lovely gown that Claire made for me. It was a very simple deep red-coloured gown, that was sort of an overcoat. The main gown was an off-white colour and it was one of the softest material ever. The gown had gold embroidery on the next and all around the waist. The hands were long and made a nice flowery look. Claire had also added a head band to it that resembled the embroidery.

Nina did help me with the hair though. "Oh, you look beautiful, Sophie!" She told me as I looked at myself in the mirror.

"Thank you so much for everything, Nina. I don't know what I would do without you." 

She kept her hand on my face and hugged me once. "Thank you for being another daughter to me." She pulled back and took a deep breath. "Now do not make me cry. I don't want to ruin my dress."

The choir bell rang thrice, announcing it to be the time to assemble in the ballroom. I walked down a little late only because I really didn't need to be the central attention. My plans were to melt in the shadows for a while. I didn't know anyone there and I couldn't find the Professor anywhere.

"Miss Adams!" I heard someone call out just before I was about the open the ballroom door.

"Trumpkin!" 

He was wearing a vest and dress robes. His usual clumsy hair was combed up and he had tied his beard as well. "I hope I don't look too ridiculous." 

"You look amazing." I said. "Just a second." I walked towards one of the vases and plucked a flower off of it and gave it to him. "Here." 

"Am I supposed to wear that?" 

"If you want to complete the look. You look great!"

"Fine." He conceded. "Let's end this once and for all." He said and we entered the room together.

Oh my God, it was so scary! The room was crowded with people wearing royal gowns and dress robes. Thank goodness my dress was not as grand as theirs. I didn't want people to stare me. It was bad enough that I was the "girl from the Other World".