chapter 4

Chapter four:

Ryan's Pov

    I jumped out from the bed of the truck and ran a hand through my hair as I was watching Alix angrily stalk Alice up the steps and into the house; everyone else followed. Despite the chilly, autumn air, I stayed outside for a couple of minutes. Thinking about what I could've possibly done to piss her off to such an extent. Things had been going so well!

    Suddenly I knew just what had set my little witch off. She didn't like me drinking alcohol. Great. Lame.

    I sighed and jogged into the house, dead-set on apologizing.

    I found Alix and Alice talking animatedly in a corner. The look in Alice's eyes showed her pity for me. I was fucked. I rubbed the back of my neck and made my way hesitantly over to her. Alice (I was starting to like her more and more, honestly) gripped Alix's shoulders and twirled her to face me, then quickly disappeared into the kitchen. Alix tried to follow after the brunette; I quickly intervened by pointedly leaning against the wall, so she wouldn't be so tempted to slip away.

    Alix leaned back against the corner and gave a sort of mixed groan/sigh to no one in particular. Except maybe me.

    "What do You want?" She asked me in a totally monotone way. I pouted.

    "You can't ask me such loaded questions when I'm about to try and be serious." She rolled her eyes at my teasing, and I continued to the honest part. "I'm really sorry."

    I'd like to say I noticed that her eyes lit up, but my vision was slightly fuzzed from that nasty drink served to me at the bar from that weird girl at the end. So it could've been my imagination. "For what?" She asked me, not in the snotty way that I was expecting, but in a more suspiciously curious manner.

    "You didn't like me drinking in front of you," I elaborated, with a shrug, "I want you to know that I smoke a bit too, but only socially, promise." I paused, seeing the look on her face drop. "But I can, you know, cut back some if you want me too." I blurt.

Alix's POV

    Hearing Ryan say all of this was not what I wanted to hear. I mean yes, I was happy to hear he'd try to change for me. But what did it matter if he'd stop all of the other stuff, if he would still accept drinks from other women?

    "That's not why I was mad, Ryan." I sighed, unable to really be pissed anymore. Now I was just, well, sad. I hadn't realized how much I'd wanted to be the only girl Ryan accepted anything from, but suddenly that seemed to be all I could think about. Great, I thought sarcasticlally, A week and the boy is already driving me up a wall.

    His blue eyes swirled with confusion and he tipped his head to the side. For a seriously hot guy, he could sure pull off adorable. "What happened then?" He really had no idea...

    "Never mind." I sighed, and tried to walk away, but Ryan quickly caught me pulling me back to my spot and his hands moved so they were pressed against the wall on either side of me, making sure I was trapped.

    "No, don't run away from me. Tell me what I did wrong. If we're going to  have any kind of serious relationship then I need to know what I did."

    "Is that what you really want, Ryan? A serious relationship? With me? Do you know what I do every weekend? I stay home and study. On holiday breaks, I stay on campus because I have no family. Do you really want to be tied to someone with as much baggage as me?" I asked quietly. No one knew about my family except some staff and Alice; Kate knew they were dead, but she didn't know what had happened. In all reality, Ryan probably didn't even know what a serious relationship with Anyone would entail. Least of all me.