20

--

While they were at dinner, Alaric had almost gotten himself killed. He had been attacked, and Elena and Matt found him with a stake through his chest.

Lily stayed home while Elena took Alaric to the hospital, as much as she didn't want to. She wanted to go and make sure he was okay, but Elena insisted she stayed home.

The next morning, Lily awoke when she felt someone's hand on her face. Lily quickly opened her eyes, sitting up to be met with Elijah's soft brown ones.

"Forgive me. I didn't mean to scare you." Elijah spoke quietly, sitting down on the bed in front of her. Lily shook her head slightly, almost surprised he was there. Elijah had kept his promise to her to speak with her as soon as he was done with his family.

"It's okay. What are you doing here?" Lily asked, looking up at him as he sighed out softly.

"I wanted to apologize again for what Niklaus did. I should have known he would use you to get what he wanted." Elijah replied, looking into Lily's eyes as she let out a small breath. Elijah felt awful that she had been hurt because of his brother. After Lily had left, Elijah made it clear to Klaus that he would not tolerate that again.

"It isn't your fault, Elijah." Lily stated, watching as Elijah turned his eyes away from her. "Hey.. Look at me." Lily reached her hand up, grabbing his cheek gently as she turned his face towards her. "This is only going to work if both of us try." Lily said quietly, glancing over his face as he nodded slightly. Lily was beginning to forgive him, especially because of the way he kept his promise and how he had stopped Klaus from hurting her.

"I know. I'm grateful you have decided to let me in again." Elijah responded, causing Lily to smile softly as she looked up into the eyes that gave her butterflies every time he looked at her.

"As much as I tried, I couldn't stay mad at you for long." Lily admitted, biting her lower lip gently. "I missed you so much, Elijah." Lily breathed out, causing his facial features to soften. Elijah was glad she had missed him, but also felt bad due to the fact she had to miss him at all.

"I missed you more than you could ever imagine." Elijah replied, and Lily felt her cheeks heat up under his gaze. Elijah noticed this and his lips curled up slightly at the sight.

"Come here." Lily moved over on the bed so he could come sit next to her. Elijah hesitated, not wanting to overstep, before shifting so he was sitting directly next to Lily. He wrapped his arms around her as she leaned into him, her head resting against his chest.

They sat in silence for a few moments, enjoying each others' company, before Lily spoke up again.

"You're warm." Lily stated, her hand pressed softly against his chest as she looked up at him.

"Does that surprise you?" Elijah asked, an amused smile on his face as she shook her head.

"No, it's just.. shouldn't you be cold?" Lily asked, causing him to let out a soft chuckle, his chest vibrating as he laughed.

"I don't think that's how it works." Elijah replied, rubbing her arm gently as he held her close to him.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you yesterday." Lily said quietly, sighing out as she glanced up at him. "I shouldn't have hit you, either, no matter how mad I was." She added, but he just shook his head.

"You don't need to apologize, darling. I deserved it." Elijah responded, pulling her closer to his body as he spoke. "I'm still shocked you are letting me hold you, or talk to you for that matter." Lily rolled her eyes slightly, lifting her head up so she could face him.