PTTF - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"You've been discharged." Bryce said a few days later, the sudden hearing of his voice making me wake up with a start. I groan as I hit hard on the head board.

"Let's just hope that blow won't put you in a coma again." he said, scribbling notes on his white screen.

"You said something?" I buzzed, as I rubbed the side of my head where a small bump had formed, ignoring his last sentence.

"You're discharged, you can leave; it's time to celebrate." he replied sarcastically, placing the bottles of medicines back into the little cabinet.

"Could you please repeat to me what my sister sees in you again?" I said, shooting daggers at him.

"My charms, and you don't have to be so hard on me, you're not my mother-in-law." he retorted.

"Well guess what, your future mother and father in laws are dead; so, face it." I emphasized angrily, throwing a water bottle at him.

He caught it anyway, a sympathetic look on his face.
"I'm sorry," I answered timidly, fidgeting with my fingers, "that wasn't like me."

"I should be the one apologizing Abby. I can't imagine what kind of pain you must be going through." he said softly, gently patting my shoulder.

To say the least, I was hurting inside. I saw my mother and father disintegrate in front of me. Every moment I spent alone in the hospital room; I couldn't help but blame myself for their deaths. I should've run when I was told to; stayed in Chantelle's arms when the meteor hit the cottage. I should've just listened. Guilt was drowning me in my own tears as numbness filled my chest every time I recalled that day.

I didn't know how I was going to survive the world outside the walls of the cottage in the desert. Right now, we had nowhere to go.

The poverty situation of the planet was solved over a hundred years ago, but urbanization and over population was already at its peak. It would almost be impossible to find a secure place in the city and anywhere outside its borders since climate conditions were too extreme for inhabitation.

Living in the wasteland was hard enough, but Shaniea was the only desert in the entire planet that was made into a township— giving to the fact that it was a vast rainforest in the past.

Planet 42 was deteriorating by the day; the seas were too poisonous for a typical beach outing; almost half of the land went underwater when the ice bergs in the arctic regions melted like wax on a lit candle. A simple rainfall could kill thousands a day and destroy property in the blink of an eye. Mother always said that my generation would be alive to see the world end,
and she was right; our numbers were decreasing as death and infertility rates increased drastically. And the Government wasn't helping.

The more we evolved and mechanization grew with it, the leaders were too occupied with biting each others' heads to become the most powerful and richest being to ever walk upon this universe. They were not in the slightest bit interested that the world they desired to rule was crumbling in their fists.

"Hey kiddo, time to leave." Chantelle's soft voice called out, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I shook my head before responding, my head still throbbing from the little blow.