PTTF - Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The town was like any other ordinary complex you would see in a city. The only difference was that the building scheme was the polis.

As Chantelle and I ventured downtown meeting the people and breaking the ice with our immediate neighbors, it was then I realized that I hadn't exactly socialized with anyone my entire life.

I never really had friends back in Shaniea; and I didn't know how to make any either.

"How does the school system work here?" I asked Chan, as we bid farewell to an old couple on the seventh floor.

"If you think everyone goes to school, then you are way behind your time, little sister." she laughed as we stepped into the elevator. "It's home-schooling obviously. You know the drill."

"Then how am I supposed to build up friendships with my peers? The days go by very fast now. I wouldn't even know how old I am in a few years." I stated, pressing the glowing number '8' on the panel.

"You'll have time to make new friends. Just not a boyfriend, please." she pleaded with a chuckle, as we both enter the eighth floor.

"Yes, I know. First, I save the world and then I find a boyfriend. I have my priorities straight alright big sister." I protested, slouching my shoulders as I press the doorbell of the first house.

A girl about my age, her chestnut hair pulled behind in a tight ponytail with freckles on her olive skin, opened the door with a wide smile on her face. She wore an oversized sweater and very baggy pants—it was hard to see her actual physique through the outfit.

"You must be the new folks in town!" she said brightly, welcoming us in.

"I'm Cleo—Cleo Jordan." she introduced, her electric blue eyes twinkling as we sat on the sofa of her family's condo, her parents and Chantelle in deep conversation.

"Abigail Fairfax, but you can call me Abby." I said shyly giving out my hand for a handshake.

"Explains the blonde hair." she pointed.

"Believe it or not, my mom's a red head." I said, fiddling with the chain around my neck.

She gave a light hearted laugh. "Are you on Snap Saol?" she asked.

"Never heard of it." I answered, "Life was different in the desert."

Her eyes widened in amusement. "It's the social media app. Everyone on the planet uses it." she stated.

"Well, not everyone I guess." I chortled.

"So, how was life in Shaniea? Did you face any sandstorms? Unusual weather?" she asked with eagerness.

"Life was pretty good, to be honest. We never really faced a bad sandstorm. It was just a tad bit too hot." I said, accepting the glass of lemonade her mother offered, "I never knew the moon's destruction before my eyes would give me so many nightmares."

"Well then, trust me, life is pretty dull here. But I would never leave Emalkhah. It's safer than the world outside." she imparted.

"So I've heard. Then why can't the entire planet move underground?" I questioned.

"It's easily said than done. They took years to build this place. The entire universe would be wiped out by the time everyone moved underground. It's just too late to save anyone and anything." she disclosed.

I beamed, "You're the first person; apart from my mother, to accept the fact that we can't be saved. I don't get why the others don't get it," I affirmed, placing my glass on the coffee table.