PTTF - Chapter 6

"You decide to completely ignore us for almost a month—according to my calculations," Cleo added, "and now you seem to have a plan that could save the planet?" she asked, pacing around her room, as Aiden and I laid on her bed.

"I needed a clear headspace," I defended, tousling Aiden's blonde tufts of soft hair. He glowered at me but grinned anyways. "I'm sorry for messing with your hair, Shae," I sneered, and he threw a fluffy cushion flat on my face.

"YOUR PLAN, ABIGAIL FAIRFAX?!" she bellowed, stamping her foot hard and painfully on the wood, "Ouch, that hurt." she winced.

"Well, it's not a plan, to say the least," I started, "but I believe that the labs of Emalkhah are in the possession of a time machine." I declare with authority.

Cleo looked at me doubtfully and with amusement at the same time.

"How did you get to know!?" she asked excitedly.

"Kind of slipped out of my sister's mouth." I replied.

"What did she say?" Aiden buzzed.

"Well, at first, she said that Gov wasn't giving them the permission to recover anything that was stored underground in the Shinyuki lab," I began, "which is false, because I heard her on the phone with another scientist saying that they've found something quite interesting in the most protected vault there; and I caught the words 'time travel'." And I went on, my two friends staring at me intently, hanging on to every word I said. "So, when I asked her whether by any chance there could be a time travel machine in the so-called 'inaccessible vault', she didn't really deny it and at first jumped on to saying we shouldn't interlope with time." I finished. "and she was wiping all of her nervous sweat on my pillow. She's not a very good pathological liar."

"That doesn't sound like a valid explanation," Aiden disclaimed.

I frowned. "I know when my sister lies. She tends to say you don't need to worry about it, blah blah blah when she doesn't want to lie and tell the truth at the same time." I stated.

"We can explore the labs and check it out." Cleo suggested.

"No, it'll be heavily guarded. If the Gov and the scientists are hiding the machine from the rest of 42, you cannot expect it to be lying around disguised with a wig and a dress." I disclosed.

"Can you get us into the labs?" asked Aiden.

"I'm not sure, but my sister did promise that she'll take me there." I answered.

"Well, Abby has a point; it's going to be heavily guarded, so how do you expect three teenagers to randomly walk up to it? Or even you, if it goes down to that." Cleo affirmed, pursing her lips.

"That's where the plan starts," I smirked, sitting up and leaning on to Aiden as I explained, "the earthquake that happened the day before yesterday; it's not just any normal earthquake, the tectonic plates will make colossal shifts. Even though nothing will happen to Emalkhah, they're expecting an emergency protocol for 56 hours. Guessing that no one will be working in the labs when the tremors happen, we can take that chance and check the place and maybe try out the device."

"If no one's going to be there, how can we even get into the place? We need authorized entrance, remember?" Aiden asked disapprovingly.

"I'm still trying to figure out a plan on that. But what I'm trying to say is, there'll be a very high possibility that only the seniors and the seismologists will go down there during the earthquake. They've predicted a date as well," I answered, "believe me, they're not going to expect it on that day."

With yet another trip to the library on the 23rd floor, this time, the three of us decided to explore the science section.

With an entire shelf dedicated to Time Travel, we buried ourselves under large books, the theory of General Relativity spinning our heads in circles as time passed by.