PTTF - Chapter 10

"Mom! My head hurts thanks to that Medical Cell Biology lesson you told me to research on," I grumbled.

Mother turned her chair around and gave me a grin. She waved at me to come closer, and I sat on her lap. For old time's sake; I know I was too old for this.

"Well that means you have done some pretty deep research," she chuckled.

Chantelle walked in to the kitchen as well, and seeing the two of us, she awkwardly turned away.

"Chan sweetheart, come here," mother called back.

She walked backwards, a shy closed -lipped grin on her face as she hung her arm on the glass doorframe.

"I just wanted to let Abby know that she should probably go outside and have a look on something interesting."

"Why, what is it?"

"Kind of looks like a meteorite shower," she said uncertainly but those words were just as enough to make me run to the front of our house.

The sky was scarlet, the sun like a raging basketball and meteorites fell from space like a fireworks display.

It was too beautiful to comprehend.

I look back at the house and find mom and Chantelle in a typical argument; they have been bonking heads these days, so I dashed down the little lane and jumped into the desert. The sand stretched miles around me, and the fired celestials still raced down, my eyes glowing in the sight of the display.

If only I had noticed what was in store for me.

I knew what'd exactly happen if the moon exploded.

But my feet stayed glued into the hot, burning sand.

My subconscious was blank. I only wanted to stare at the sky.

I knew that this meant the end of the world.

What is happening to me?

"Abigail, run!" father's voice bellowed behind me.

I didn't listen to him. I was just simply living in the moment.

And then a huge meteorite fell towards me, and as my eyes followed its path, it landed exactly where my father stood and that very next moment, I was sent flying off my feet. Hurtling down the steep sand dune, I finally stopped, to find the horror that laid in front of me.

The place where my father stood. The last time I saw him, a glimpse for a quarter of a second.

A crater; and no sign of him.

>>>

"Her heart rate's rapidly increasing!" a voice shouted, as some kept me flat down on whatever I was lying on. A sharp needle pricked my neck as I opened my eyes wide open, petrified.

The oxygen mask over my face was suffocating me, but I managed to pull it off.

My back was numb—numbed with pain as my legs laid paralyzed and lifeless in front of me, my brain not functioning like a normal brain should.

Another needle pricked my elbow, and an ice-cold medium ran through my veins. It burned; but instantly left a soothing sensation at the very end.

"Elliot," I murmured, "I—need him."

"He's at a meeting miss, he will come to see you," someone replied.

The last thing I remember was being in his arms of protection, whispering the words, "You're going to be perfectly fine," in my ears as I blacked out right after that.