PTTF - Chapter 5

The next few days, I spent my time in the bedroom, only leaving for my meals. I considered this as silent treatment. I was tired of all the bickering and saving the world. I needed some alone time for mental restoration. Ignoring the calls from everyone I knew; all I did was merely stare up at a ceiling and lose myself in deep ponder.

I thought about life till my brain felt as if it was about to explode in my skull. The daily occurrences of hurricanes and tsunamis around the planet was as normal as the sun rising and setting every day.

And I was counting the days till our total annihilation; forty days and forty nights was my estimation.

What am I supposed to do? Should I be the one fixing things in the first place?

This was too much for me to handle, it felt as if the entire planet was on my shoulders. Like dead weight to me.

And what bothered me the most was the time travelling. Was the government taking measures to go back in time and change it, or see what the future beholds? Erase a regrettable historical event that negatively impacted mankind and the rest of the universe?

Can huge objects really distort space-time, which we feel as gravity?

A hundred and one questions swarmed through my head. Gritting my teeth to stop them from haunting me, I dig my face into a soft pillow and let out a silent scream. That was the best and only thing I could do. Let my frustration flow out.

In the middle of an apocalypse, it was always best to keep one's mind crystal clear.

Yet another thought crossed my brain. If I can't save the planet, I could still rescue the people in it.

But what did that really mean?

Change their mindsets, their lifestyles. Eradicate corruption and negativity.

And that was beyond my control. It is absolutely absurd to even think of helping the stuck-up citizens of Planet 42.

Then time travel was my only option. That, or just watch the world burn in flames while sipping a glass of champagne.

Forty days and forty nights.

What a strange number forty was. It was a reminder from the angels that we were well-protected and safe. But no one has believed in angels or any of the sort for years.

But it also meant that some things were out of my control.

Whenever mom wanted to talk about the world, she would always call me. As a little girl, I sat on her lap, my fingers entangled in her ginger hair, as I looked up at her blue eyes.

She always told me that I would make a change. A change for a better future. And I had to make her proud.

As I laid my back against the soft fabrics of my bedspread, I closed my eyes, and waited still in the darkness, focusing on the splashes of colors on the black background.

Suddenly, I heard—more like felt, a slight tremble. I immediately sit straight up, my heart pounding in my chest.

Another rattle.

And it went on and on.

More forceful with every tremor.

Then it stopped.

Confused, I stand up and feel the furnished floorboards with my bare feet.

The alarm system went off, red lights flashing in my room as I dashed to the door and turned the knob with my hand.

But it wouldn't bulge.

I tugged and pulled at it, thrashing my feet to break it down, yet it stood still in its hinges and I was trapped inside.